Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2017 11:00

Inspiron 17-7779 SSD installed and cloned from HDD but cant boot from SSD

I purchased an Inspiron 17 (7779) which came with a 1TB hard drive and an empty M2 slot.  I purchased a 1TB SSd from WD.  I installed it and successfully cloned (or at least I believe it was successful as both drives now appear identical) however I cannot seem to get the laptop to boot from the SSD instead of the HDD.  I tried numerous settings in the BIOS with no luck, even dropped into Legacy mode as this makes the most sense to me but still no luck.

I'm about to simply create an image of the HDD, use Acronis to boot and simply restore to the SSD (seems like i'm nuts -- doesn't it) .  I did not imagine this would be so difficult and I cannot find any support related information.  Given the machine has an M2 you would think most users would want to at least add a 128gb SSD for the operating system..

Any help, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated. 

4 Posts

February 14th, 2017 09:00

THANK YOU!!!  Taking out the spindle drive ultimately was the problem however the cloning of the spindle to the SSD failed and a boot never occurred.  I was forced to use my recovery USB drive to re-populate the SSD and all working fine now.  

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 7th, 2017 12:00

When you cloned the drive, did you then install the new drive in the same location as the hard drive had before and boot the system ONLY with the new SSD installed?  You CANNOT boot the system with both the original and the cloned drives installed -- not the first time you boot after cloning.  If you do, the system will then never be able to boot from the clone drive.

4 Posts

February 7th, 2017 13:00

if i understand you correctly i need to open the laptop up, unplug or remove the HDD and close it back up and reboot and the system will auto detect the SSD and boot from there adjusting my bios setting.  Then after the successful reboot I can go back in and reinstall the HDD -- it will not be sourced as the primary boot drive, right?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 7th, 2017 15:00

That is correct.  You MUST NOT boot the system with the original drive AND the cloned drive until after the first boot is completed.  

4 Posts

February 8th, 2017 06:00

Thank you, I will put it to task tonight.

No Events found!