Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

January 25th, 2004 08:00

Inspiron 3500-How do you open Plastic Hard Drive Caddy?

Can someone please tell me how to open the plasticHard Drive caddy?  Can it be opened? (it looks like it can but can't quite figure out how--don't want to break anything).  Can it be reused after you get it open? 

I bought a new Hard Drive to replace a failling one. It came in a plastic caddy like the original.  I need to get the plastic caddy open so I can remove the Hard Drive to place it in an external EZ GIG caddy so I can clone it before replacing the old drive

TIA

Message Edited by popin on 01-26-2004 11:48 AM

11.9K Posts

January 25th, 2004 16:00

@popin wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to open the plasticHhard Drive caddy?  Can it be opened? (it looks like it can but can't quite figure out how--don't want to break anything).  Can it be reused after you get it open? 

I bought a new Hard Drive to replace a failling one. It came in a plastic caddy like the original.  I need to get the plastic caddy open so I can remove the Hard Drive to place it in an external EZ GIG caddy so I can clone it before replacing the old drive

TIA

You need to remove the 'H' screw on the bottom of the computer.

3 Posts

January 25th, 2004 21:00

Thanks, but getting the hard drive out of the laptop is not the problem.   i'm trying to find out how  you get the actual metal hard drive out of the plastic hard drive caddy (plastic shell that the hard drive is encased in).

3 Posts

January 27th, 2004 20:00

Pretty Please with sugar on top?  Someone, anyone?  I know someone out there in cyberland can answer this for me.  It would really be of great help.

TIA

11 Posts

February 23rd, 2012 17:00

After eight years, I  assume the original poster has figured this out, but here is the answer for those doing a search, as I was:

To disassemble the hard-disk drive, perform the following steps:

Remove the hard-disk drive from the base of the computer.

Remove the 4-mm screw from the side of the hard-disk drive.

Lift up the large plastic tab that the screw had previously secured.

There are a series of small plastic tabs along the three sides of the plastic carrier.

Unsnap the plastic carrier along three sides.

Turn the carrier over in your hand so that the hard-disk drive partially falls into your hand.

The 9.5-mm hard-disk drive uses a spacer inside the plastic carrier for proper fit.

Slide the hard-disk drive connector out of the plastic retainer inside the plastic carrier and remove the drive completely from the carrier.

Use the plastic pull to remove the flex cable from the hard-disk drive.

NOTE: Although the connector may not be as wide as the set of pins, it is keyed so that it can only fit one way on the pins.

No Events found!