Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2015 22:00

Inspiron 3542 - SSD upgrade issues

After cloning the existing HDD to a newly bought Kingston HyperX Fury SSD, i proceed with replacing the HDD with the SSD. Unfortunately, the screen shows

"Internal hard disk drive not found.To resolve this issue, try to reseat the drive -strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics."

when i turn the laptop on, i have tried unplugging the SSD and re-installing it several times (im pretty sure its installed properly), but it's still not working.

I ran onboard diagnostics, and everything is fine. 

So my Inspiron 3542 was able to detect the SSD with an external enclosure, but failed to boot with it.

What could be the problem? Could the Inspiron 3542 be incompatible with Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB SSD? or is there a certain procedure that i have to follow in cloning Windows 8 in a 3542?

p.s. I used  Macrium Reflect Free, and i only clone the C drive, excluding all other partitions from my existing hard disk.

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 26th, 2015 17:00

Hi Khojn,

We generally recommend a clean installation of the OS for Windows 8 when installing a new system drive.

2 Posts

March 26th, 2015 20:00

I understand that there isn't an Windows installation disk for Windows 8.1

So how do I reinstall Windows?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 27th, 2015 10:00

Factory Settings

See here to make a Dell Backup and Recovery Rescue Disk (Bootable External Hard Drive) or Factory Backup (Bootable USB):

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery/

I demonstrate using these to upgrade to a Crucial 256 GB MX200 in my Inspiron 13 7347.

Clean Install

If you need to clean install, see here to download and prepare a Windows 8.1 .iso:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

2 Posts

July 9th, 2015 05:00

HI,

Sorry i am quite new, just bought one of these machines and have a SSD , just wondering if i need a power source or just a usb cable can work to clone the the disk

KR

No Events found!