Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2011 11:00

Inspiron 530s will recognize some CDs but not others

Hi, I had this problem once before and my husband fixed it. Now ihe doesn't remember how he did it and it is really frustrating. My 2008 Inspiron 530s will recognize some CDs but not others. When it does not recognize the CD (right now for sure it won't recognize a burned CD from a friend...which works fine in other comptuers, and a HP printer software installation CD that worked when I first got the printer, but now it won't), so in My Computer I click on my CD/DVD drive and when it opens, nothing is there. Under properties 100% is free space. I don't know why it is doing this or how to fix it. Please help!

6 Posts

July 24th, 2011 11:00

Oh and my driver is: HL-DT-ST+DVD+-RW+GSA-H73N

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 24th, 2011 14:00

Hi Ignat35,

Try this. With a data CD (not audio) in the drive, right click the DVD drvie in My Computer and select Explore. Tell me if you see the disc contents in the window that opens.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 25th, 2011 15:00

I would run the Dell diagnostics using one of the problem discs. To test your CD/DVD drive from the utility partition:

1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.

2. Select Boot to utility partition.

3. Select Test System.

4. Select Custom Test.

5. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your CD/DVD drive.

6. Insert a CD or DVD.

7. Click Run Tests.

8. Write down any error messages.

6 Posts

July 25th, 2011 15:00

The window that opens is empty.

6 Posts

July 25th, 2011 19:00

I went start-->run-->msconfig and I re-checked everything that was unchecked in the startup tab and intially the TurboTax CD was recognized. I put in the the photo CD and the HP software CD but they weren't. When I put the TurboTax CD back in it was not recognized the second time (and any supsequent times I've put it in). Could it be a registry code that is missing that recognizes specific formatting?

6 Posts

July 25th, 2011 19:00

I tried to do the test with my HP software CD that I know isn't recognized, another data CD with photos I know  isn't recognized, and a TurboTax software CD I now know isn't recognized and all got the message:

"The CD inserted in your CD-ROM drive does not contain any data tracks. You must insert a CD containing data such as a software installation CD if you would like to try again. Would you like to try again? Yes No

I then put in a different CD with photos on it and was able to run the test. There were no errors. The confidence test was not checked but the device quick check, read test, seek test, built in self test (Test All) and media eject test were all done.

I used TurboTax earlier this year to do my taxes and now apparently it is in the category of not recognized CDs.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 26th, 2011 15:00

I think it's just a dodgy drive and the simplest path forward is to replace it.

6 Posts

July 27th, 2011 05:00

That is what I was afraid of. I think I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can fix it again. Thanks for the help though.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 27th, 2011 08:00

Just to clarify, the Dell diagnostics run outside Windows. If the drive cannot read a disc in the diagnostics, then it's a hardware problem, not anything that can be fixed in the registry.

A new drive is only $20-25, and you'll save that much in headaches with a new drive.

No Events found!