Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2013 09:00

Insprion Laptop - C Drive close to full

Have 3 year old Dell Inspiron, hard drive set up from factory on 320 gig drive - C 60 gig - D has remainder of allocated space. Am I going to have to reformat and reload everything, not finding any information that I can delete patition and expand C drive.

jwayne810

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 25th, 2013 14:00

I'm surprised you have not done that already. I did it on my Inspiron with the same dumb partitioning. Just boot to the windows 7 disk, select custom install and then Drive Options (or something like that) then delete the D partition and following the directions to install windows on the C partition which will expand to include the unallocated space--formerly D.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2013 14:00

Since you have to go to custom install I take it that all your programs have to be installed? Thanks for your response Mary. jwayne810

July 8th, 2013 14:00

Thanks for the advice.   I had the same problem as many others with the small C drive and large partitioned D drive and I wanted to expand on the advice for others having this problem.  Since I don't think I really need the D drive partition, this is what I did:  backed up and then deleted everything from the D drive (which wasn't much since everything is set to automatically save under C drive), right-clicked on Computer in the Windows main menu, selected Manage, and then Disk Management.  From there, I highlighted the D drive box at the bottom of the screen, right-clicked and deleted the D drive, then right-clicked and deleted the partition of the free space from the former D drive.  Finally, I highlighted the C drive box, right-clicked, and selected Extend Volume.  After choosing to extend C drive to include the full free disk space, my C drive now contains almost ~600 GB of storage instead of the previous ~60GB.  So far so good, although I am not an IT person so would welcome feedback from any pros out there.  It wasn't too hard but is EXTREMELY annoying that anyone, especially a novice, has to bother with this in the first place.  Anyways, hope this helps someone going forward.

No Events found!