Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 26th, 2013 13:00

Installing Vista on new HDD from Reinstallation DVD

Hi!

Is it possible to use the Windows reinstallation DVD that came with my Dell laptop to install Windows on a new HDD for the same laptop?  I've been thinking of upgrading the HDD in my laptop to something newer, bigger, and faster, but would like to make sure that I will be able to use the reinstall DVD before investing in the new HDD.  I haven't been able to work out a straight yes or no answer from comments I've seen online (something about the DVD only working with the original Dell hardware?).

Here are my laptop specs:

- Model: Dell XPS m1330

- OS: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit (I have the reinstallation DVD that came with the laptop - the one labelled 'Already installed on your computer' - as well as the CDs for the Dell drivers and utilities)

- Hardware: All of the hardware is as I received it from Dell - I haven't swapped anything out.

Thank you in advance for your insight!

Mariko

6.4K Posts

January 26th, 2013 13:00

Reinstallation is precisely what that DVD is for.  Dell gives a page of links to assist owners in the restoration of their computers here:  Restoring and Reinstalling Windows on a Dell.  For a blank hard drive you need to go to Step 4: Manual Reinstallation.  Forum member natakuc4 has written a few pages with a lot of additional information that might be of help, found here:  A Clean Install of Windows.

It may also be possible to clone your existing hard drive to shorten the time required to restore your computer, but with a laptop you will also need a USB external hard drive shell.  I don't know about all vendors, but I know that Seagate and Western Digital offer a free version of Acronis True Image on their web pages to owners of their hard drives.  This application allows you to transfer an image of your existing hard drive to a new hard drive in less than an hour (usually-depends on how much is on the drives).

2 Posts

January 27th, 2013 11:00

Thank you Jack!  That is exactly the answer I was hoping for :)

No Events found!