Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2014 07:00

Installing a SSD in XPS8500

I purchased a Dell xps8500 desktop in November 2012. It is the configuration with a 2TB hard drive. I am considering a SSD to replace the boot drive. I have been looking at the Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-7KE256BW) from Amazon. I would like to know if I can install it in my system, and do I need to purchase a cable and drive bay converter and just plug it in.

Also, I use Acronis True Image to image my current drive. The program has the ability to clone a disk, so I assume I clone the disk, then use Windows Disk Management to change the drive letter of the SSD to C and the current drive C to D, is that correct?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 14th, 2014 10:00

Hi Mauiron,

Your plan sounds fine. In the Wiki articles, I've got one on how to install an SSD in a 5.25" bay. See if that works for you.

As far as Acronis, what you'll do is boot the system using the Acronis CD, clone the disks, then install the SSD as the new C drive. You cannot boot to Windows to perform the clone, now can you change drive letters for a system drive.

No Events found!