Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2008 14:00

Installing a second copy of WindowsXP for dual boot

I not sure this is the correct Forum for this topic.  If not someone please tell me which is. 

I have cloned my OEM installation of WindowsXP with all the programs and data on my original C:\ drive (SATA Disk 0) onto a new larger SATA drive.  In the process I left sufficient unallocated space on the new drive to Format it as a D:\ volume on the new Disk 0.  I plan to do a clean install of WindowsXP onto that D:\ volume and install those the programs I want there.  Doing thhis I hope to clean up my old installation from the C:\ volume.

I have read the indtructions in Dell and Microsoft's help but I am a bit confused. 

1. When you turn on the computer (XPS Gen 2) by pressing F-12 during startup you get a Boot menu.  How do I get the new installation of Windows XP to show up on this menu?

2. Can I tell WindowsXP to install on the D:\ volume?

3. My OEM version of WindowsXP included SP1.  Can I upgrade directly to SP3 from Microsoft's upgrade?

4. Will I encounter any other pitfalls?

NobootJack

5.8K Posts

June 25th, 2008 15:00

Generally, you just install XP on the new partition (you specify where to install at the beginning of the install).  It will see you already have XP installed and setup dual boot for you.  After you install, you will get a menu at boot asking which XP you want to boot up.

I haven't tried this with XP and XP, but it has worked fine for XP installed on a Win 98 system.

The boot options don't show in the F12 menu, that is a hardware menu.  It will show just as soon as Windows starts to boot.  Windows is doing the multi-boot.

Yes, you can go from SP1 to SP3 (I believe ... never tried it).

Peter

22 Posts

June 25th, 2008 16:00

Thanks Peter,

Jack

22 Posts

June 30th, 2008 15:00

Peter,

Just wanted to give you and others some feedback on your response.  The clean install of the Windows XP on a separate partition was straight forward.  I ended up with 2 copies of Windoxs XP on the Boot Menu (Yes, I knew it wasn't on the F12 menu).  Windows gives them both the same name.  If you want to distinguish between them, you have to edit the boot menu once Windows XP loads.  BE CAREFUL.  ONLY EDIT BETWEEN THE " " or the system may not boot.

I tried upgrading from SP1 to SP3.  It wouldn't do it for me.  I had to go SP1->SP2->SP3.

The biggest pain of course is reloading ALL the software.  I'm still working on that.

Hope this helps anyone else who might be thinking of doing it.

NoBootJack 

No Events found!