Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

December 6th, 2010 18:00

Installing additional HDD - missing cord? XPS 435t

Hello, thanks in advance for your help.

I am currently running a desktop XPS 435t, and I just purchased a new 1TB internal HDD which I want to install into the computer.

I opened up the case, and placed the new HDD in place and plugged in the POWER attachments, turned on the computer but the computer can't find the new drive.

I'm assuming there needs to be another cord I need to plug into the NEW HDD, but I can't find any other ones within the case.

Is this necessary cord not provided? And if not, where can I purchase it? Thanks!

Jay

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 6th, 2010 20:00

unirmeant2be

SATA hard drives require both, a power cable and a SATA data cable.

There usually is a spare power connector inside the case for an additional hard drive, but  you will need to buy a SATA data cable.

Dell does not supply a SATA data cable for a second drive, unless they factory install the drive.

You should be able to buy the cable from a local computer store, or from www.newegg.com

Also, after the hard drive is installed, check the system setup [BIOS] that the SATA port the hard drive is connected to, is enabled [on] and the drive is recognized, followed by using windows disk management to partition and format the new hard drive and assign it a drive letter.

Bev.

December 6th, 2010 21:00

Thank you so much for your reply Bev! - awesome, I'll go purchase an SATA cable now.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 7th, 2010 08:00

unirmeant2be

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!