Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2011 23:00

Installing new SATA drive in Optiplex GX280 pc

I am installing a new SATA drive in GX280 System.  This new disk will be my BOOT disk.   I tried loading the system from the original recovery CDs a couple of timees now.  I get thru the initial tasks of partitioning, formatting and copying the files from the CD.  Then the system tries to reboot to finish the installation.  I let it boot from the hard drive and the installation freezes.  I suspect it is a SATA driver issue but I've searched the Dell site for the identity of these drivers and can not find anything.  The name of my motherboard, in the original system configuration webpage ("Assembly, Printed Wiring Assy Input/Output, ser/ps2, GX280"),  is so cryptic that I can not even go on the Internet to find them with any degree of certainty.

When I looked in the original system configuration, I noticed that there is a manual listed that was not delivered with the system (i.e Quantity is set to "0").  This is the "Information, first boot, hard drive" manual, (part no. 00159).  I have searched Dell's site for this manual and can not find it either.  It might help me get past this issue if I had a copy of it. 

I hope someone who reads this can help me out with this. 

thanks,

Jeff 

14.4K Posts

July 10th, 2011 01:00

What OS are you trying to load?

6.4K Posts

July 10th, 2011 01:00

Choose your manual from amongst the manuals found here:  GX280 User's Guide.  You will find guidance on installation of the operating system in each of the manuals, but a quick look indicates they are all the same.  A more complete guide to restoring your operating system is here:  Restoring or Reinstalling Windows on a Dell.  This is best done with no peripherals attached except for keyboard, mouse, and monitors.  It also helps if you have no USB storage devices or card readers attached.

Using your utilites and drivers CD to install the drivers is ok, but you will find the latest versions here:  GX 280 Downloads and Drivers.  One advantage of using the CD is that it has an application to help you determine which drivers you need.  If you download from the web page you will need to figure that out on your own.  When you install the drivers make sure you install the Desktop System Software (found under System Utilities on the web page) and the Intel Chipset Driver in that order and before all other drivers.  You will find the Dell recommended order of driver installation in the link to manual installation of the operating system.

Downloading from the web page is best done one at a time using the option to download direct using your web browser.  This choice may not be obvious as the most prominent option is the download manager.  The download manager has been known to cause problems, however, and I don't recommend it.  You should create a folder having a descriptive name for each driver as the Dell files lack names that tell you what they're for.

There are no SATA drivers available  for the GX 280.  The first Dells to use SATA drives used a PATA to SATA translator in the BIOS so that the PATA drivers native to Windows XP would work.  If you are having trouble installing the operating system you might want to check the status of the SATA controller in the BIOS.  According to the manual you have the choice of Normal or Compatible, with Compatible being the setting for combined SATA/PATA operation.  Switching to that might help with your installation problem.

3 Posts

July 10th, 2011 09:00

OK!  Well, I've been thru the documents to which you refer and none refer to a procedure to overcome this issue. BTW, I am using Windows XP Professional and I am implementing a 160Gbyte HDD in place of a 80Gbyte one.  The BIOS has been adjusted for the new HDD.  Also, I have already set the controller setting to which you refer to "compatible" mode. Also, I've tried both SATA connectors on the MB to no avail.  And, as far as the other drivers are concerned, I've identified what I need just in case I do need to implement them manually.  (It's just that SATA s/w that I could not find... which you've convinced me I will not need for the GX280!  And I thank you for that.)

I think you are saying that there might be a BIOS issue (i.e. the SATA II controller software is stored in the BIOS?).  Consequently, my next thought is that I may want to upgrade the BIOS to the latest verion to ensure that the BIOS is healthy.  Also, as the next resort, I guess I could try to boot off of the PATA!  

One other thing that I should mention... Subsequent to writing my first POST, I have seen the CPU fan "go crazy" twice just before the pc stops booting... By "crazy", I mean that it starts to spin noticably faster and, by the second, it spins faster and faster.  It quickly spins so fast that I'm afraid that it will break... and the only way I can stop it is by pulling the plug!  This does NOT happen all of the time.  Maybe this is another sign of a failing BIOS...  Or maybe it is a sign of a failing Mobo... Or maybe it is a bad CPU power capacitor on the Mobo of which one is pretty swollen.  (There are too many ways to get beat!)

Thanks guys.  Let me start with the BIOS.

thanks,

Jeff

14.4K Posts

July 10th, 2011 10:00

If you want to install the hdd in sata mode then you'll have to install the intel RST driver during install by pressing F6 to install scsi/raid drivers and point to a floppy that contains the necessary files. You have to unzip the downloaded file and copy all the enclosed files to floppy.

32 bit version:   downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

64 bit version: downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx

6.4K Posts

Just a couple of notes; if you have tried compatible mode, but have not tried to install in Normal mode, by all means try that.  I've never been certain that Compatible mode has any real utility.

Second, although this is unlikely since the system can obviously see the drive, check to see if there is a jumper on your new drive to restrict the data transfer rate of the drive to SATA 1.  The drive is supposed to be backward compatible but some of the older controllers have trouble negotiating the proper speed with the later model drives.

With regard to the fan, this is probably normal.  All of my machines start with the fan going full blast until the POST completes and Windows begins to load.  It just seems to take that long before the fan control in the BIOS wakes up and tells it to slow down.  Also, you seem to already be booting from the installation disk, but I am reminding you here as it is very important.  If you have a Windows installation on the hard drive already the disk will happily autorun but it may not activate properly if you allow that action.

6.4K Posts

Bacillus;

I've been reading your posts since before I became an active member of the forum and have always respected your recommendations, but I must take issue with this one.  The GX 280 was delivered for the first time in 2004, a short time before Dell began delivering machines having RAID capability.  The chipset is a Grantsdale (910-915) that is associated with an ICH6 hub.  This hub can handle the AHCI interface but I'm pretty certain that the BIOS does not support it.  Another hint is that all Dell systems that can use AHCI have some version of the Intel drivers in their downloads pages, something that is conspicuously missing from that page for the GX 280.  The only SATA file available is a specific firmware fix for certain Maxtor hard drives.

If you have information that contradicts what I know, I will appreciate the education.

Respectfully

Jack

14.4K Posts

July 10th, 2011 12:00

Hey Jack thanks for your input. :)

I posted my thoughts on the assumption that this pc is able to run in AHCI mode.

If it can't then my post above is redundant  but I have to make assumptions when posting that the user would know what modes his bios supported.

3 Posts

July 11th, 2011 19:00

I posted a reply to this which was deleted.  The moderator said I violated some sort of copyright privledge or something.  The post was interesting information but I can not find anything wrong with it and I do not want to take the time to struggle with it.  Anyway, I am going to try a new mobo.  Too bad I can not tell you why or get your opinions .  

on what I've seen.

Thanks for your help guys.

Jeff

Boy, I hope this post goes thru.

6.4K Posts

July 12th, 2011 18:00

Fortunately I was able to catch a look before your post was removed.  The sort of things you describe can happen if the board doesn't get consistently initialized, which in turn can happen if the CMOS (NVRAM) back-up cell voltage is too low.  Have you replaced it during your troubleshooting?  If not, you should.  Once you have the new cell, before installing it (and of course with the power cord removed from the tower), push the power button and hold it in for about fifteen seconds.  This should discharge any storage elements and completely erase the information in the CMOS.  When you now install the battery and connect your monitor, keyboard, and mouse, start it up, the default settings should be loaded.  If you don't have a diskette drive you may need to go back to setup and turn it off to keep from getting a warning about a seek fault from the drive and having to push F1 to continue.

With regard to the reason your post was removed; Dell makes an effort to keep the forum "G rated".  This entails the usual restrictions on language and words, but also includes derogatory remarks about our fellow forum members.  While the example I observed was fairly mild, the level of sarcasm allowed is somewhat variable depending on which member of the Terms of Use team finds the offending post.

No Events found!