Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

January 7th, 2014 09:00

Intel Rapid Start Technology Manager disabled/not available

I have a XPS 12 9Q33 and recently changed out my SSD to one with a larger capacity. I did a disk clone prior to the change out. The new drive is a Crucial M500 240GB mSATA SSD CT250M500SSD3, which is recommended by Crucial for my system. The problem I've run into is that Intel Rapid Start Technology Manager is disabled. I receive an error popup upon Windows start up. I went into BIOS to change the setting and found that the setting is greyed out so I can't enable it. Intel Smart Connect is available and is enabled. Also, under SATA operation the only option available is AHCI. Plus, Intel Rapid Storage Technology loads with Windows. Just can't figure out why this option/setting loads with the default drive and not with the new Crucial drive. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 7th, 2014 15:00

Hi Webbj8150,

I assume the larger capacity is for the purpose of loading the operating system onto the SSD, correct? The original setup was probably with the mSATA drive as a cache, correct?

30 Posts

January 7th, 2014 23:00

Yes and no. The origonal drive was an mSATA SSD but not large enough. As stated, the new drive is a clone of the first drive. It is now the primary and only drive in my system.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 8th, 2014 07:00

I would perform a clean installation of the OS onto the new mSATA drive.

30 Posts

January 11th, 2014 09:00

Ok, without disks how is this possible?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 11th, 2014 10:00

I've got a link below to a Windows installation guide. He explains how to download an ISO of the Windows installer, so you don't need the disc.

30 Posts

January 11th, 2014 19:00

Thought about this a little more before clean install. Since the setting that needs to be enabled is in BIOS, how is the operating system effecting the ability to enable this setting? 

30 Posts

January 13th, 2014 17:00

Well,I  tried to do a factory reinstall on the new Crucial drive. At first, it seemed to be placing the factory reinstall partitions on the new SSD but after the restart an error must have occurred in the process as the drive was no longer recognized. It stated that files were not copied over properly. It would no longer boot as a bootable drive. I created a new factory restore USB drive off of the original drive but because the my new drive is larger, the factory restore wouldn't take because it was looking for a comparable size drive. I currently have the Crucial drive in an encloser as a USB drive. When I plug it in, all I get in either Windows Explorer or Disk Management is a listing of a removable drive with a drive letter but a listing of no media. Not sure why I have no access to the drive now. Can't even format it. Any suggestions appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2014 04:00

I would put the mSATA drive back in the PC. Make a bootable flash drive with some disk utilities to delete the existing partitions, then start over.

Are you following the installation guide I recommended? What was the error when you say the drive was not recognized?

30 Posts

January 17th, 2014 13:00

actual did follow the instruction after cloning seemed to have problems. It seems the drive has problems unrelated to the restore process. As stated, restore doesn't recognize any drive capacity and when inside an enclosure, Windows Explorer and Disk Management only show a drive letter without capacity. My assumption, bad drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 18th, 2014 03:00

Agree. Sorry about that.

No Events found!