Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2013 20:00

Intel Rapid Start and Rapid Storage not working

Two separate problems of course.  XPS 15z, i7.  WD HDD 1TB, Sony 128GB SSD.  Just bought system in November so am still working through small bugs.  All of a sudden starting Sunday, when I boot I get the below message:  "Your system does not appear to have Intel Rapid Start Technology enabled."

- why just all of a sudden

- IRST is grayed in bios setup, so how do I enable this?

2nd issue:  working with Dell Tech support remotely taking control of my system, supposedly my SSD was set up as a cache write to optimize performance.  However, when I enter the Intel Rapid Storage Technology app, I cannot accelerate to use the Rapid Response Technology - if I try I get "unknown error, operation could not be completed."  I suspect this problem is because I do not understand the technology or what I have/can have on my system.  As I understand it now, my SSD is not being used effectively as a write-write?

This is my first time on the forum, usually I bug tech support live, but if I can find good answers and get understanding from the forum then it's a cool thing to do.  I also have a lot of issues with tech support - inconsistent and just plain wrong answers.

Doug

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2013 11:00

Hi Doug,

I think this is the same problem. I'm wondering if there's a problem with your cache drive. Does the 128GB SSD appear in the BIOS and as a separate drive in the IRST? You might even want to run the diagnostics on it.

31 Posts

January 4th, 2013 18:00

Yes, I can see the disk in the bios.  Also can manipulate it in computer management, disk management.  Before Dell reformatted for me, I had even created a data disk on it and used it as such.  Dell wiped it and set it up again as a cache disk.

In short, I know there are no issues with the disk as a disk.  Problem lies elsewhere.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 5th, 2013 03:00

Did you run the diagnostics as I suggested?

31 Posts

January 5th, 2013 19:00

yes, I ran pre-boot assessment and then a full system diagnostic using Dell's tools.  All systems came out good.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 6th, 2013 04:00

Ok, that's good.

Please check the BIOS and tell me what the controller mode is set to. It should be RAID or "Smart Response" or "Rapid Start". If it's not one of those, let me know what you see. Did the Dell technician suggest any changes to those settings?

31 Posts

January 6th, 2013 09:00

Some additional info, I've read on a couple of old posts in other forums that the partition on the SSD and number of primary drives on my main drive may be important.  I have 5 partitions on my OS drive, 3 done by Dell, one (C drive) with my OS and programs, and one (D drive) with my data.

The SSD is one partition, 128 gb.  Should I create an 8gb partition on the SSD?  Is it a problem that my other disk is partitioned?

I read that Intel Rapid Start requires an 8gb partition, is why I ask.  I don't know the credibility of these blogs and they were 1010 or older.

31 Posts

January 6th, 2013 09:00

BIOS SATA mode is set to "Intel Smart Response Technology"

Dell tech did not suggest any changes.  He suggested nothing at all except I should probably not mess with anything (my paraphrase) - a totally unacceptable answer to me.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 6th, 2013 16:00

Normally, Dell reserves 32GB of an mSATA drive for caching.

Have you taken a look at this document for ideas on what might not be set up correctly?

31 Posts

January 6th, 2013 18:00

I just perused the document, a lot of information there.  I have 16gb memory, I don't understand why the pdf says I should have only 8 or less gb, that might be one problem.

I just tried also to download a recommended driver file that supports the Intel Smart Response Technology from Dell (I was checking to ensure I had indeed installed the necessary drivers) and got a message that my system did not meet the minimum requirements.  That could be due to a faulty list of drivers, I didn't do a quick check to make sure the list presented was for my particular service tag.

Also, there seems to be more than just rapid start and storage - too many dimensions for me to soak in. 

I am throwing in the towel, going to call Dell Tech Support in the morning and hash this through.  I bought a new computer that is supposed to support this technology now I would like to see it functioning.  I don't look forward to engaging a tech rep, it can be a very frustrating experience, but with patience I'm sure we'll get it ferreted out.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 7th, 2013 04:00

Yes, good plan. There's definitely a disconnect between the BIOS, which seems to be set up correctly, and the OS.

7 Posts

January 17th, 2013 21:00

How did you solve this as I am having the same error.

No Events found!