Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 29th, 2009 06:00

Is Intel® RAID Option ROM utility part of the BIOS or the OS?

Hi,

I have a Dimension 9150 Desktop and want to increase the size of the SATA drives in the RAID 0 ARRAY. I've done most of the research necessary, but need help clarifying one last point before I purchase two new 1TB SATA drives and install them.

My concern is that my system came with Windows XP Media Centre installed, but I've since purchased and installed Vista Home Premium DVD ROM. I understand that after I insert and connect my new drives that I will need to enable RAID configuration in BIOS settings. It then says when I start the system I should be asked if I want to enter Intel® RAID Option ROM utility by pressing , then following the steps in the user guide pdf to set up the RAID 0 ARRAY, so it's ready to install Vista on it.

I've taken the precaution of updating to the latest BIOS, but am worried that the Intel® RAID Option ROM utility isn't part of the BIOS and will have been erased when I installed Vista. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Kind thanks, Ftumpsch808:emotion-43:

July 31st, 2009 02:00

Hi,

Just to let people know that I tried the above installation and [eventually!] all went smoothly. I did have problems at first because I've connected my Dimension 9150 to my Sony Bravia 32" LCD TV. This meant that when I entered setup/BIOS to enable RAID configuration and re-booted, the TV wasn't showing the screen with the 'Press ' option. It also didn't show 'Press any key to boot from CD/DVD' when I'd set that to 1st boot device.

I was totally confused for a few hours and even considered installing a spare CD/DVD drive borrowed from a friend, to see if my drive was broke! Finally I decided to connect the VGA Monitor that was shipped with the system because I suspected the TV wasn't showing me all the steps in the boot process. I was so relieved to see all the boot screens and given the choice to press and enter Intel® RAID Option ROM utility! Configuring the drives into RAID O took less than a minute and Installing Vista after a re-boot went without a problem!

I'm sure its possible others will connect their system to a TV and use as a monitor. To save problems with hardware or OS installations, keep your monitor [or use an equivalent] if you need it in future, as I did!

No Events found!