Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 8th, 2008 09:00

Is there a cheap external DVD player only

Cannot seem to fix The hitachi DVD player on my E310 dimension/XP windows/media player 10 and had 11. Have tried everything. You can hear the dvd player spinning trying to find the directory but thats all it does. Have done everything and nothing works.So I'm thinking of getting a cheap DVD external player only to watch DVD movies. Any ideas? Plus I wonder if that will work?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 8th, 2008 10:00

DJ5354:

Ok, let me make one suggestion that might provide immediate help. Try the VLC Media Player (link in my signature). If this is a decoder issue, then that might fix it. If it's a drive issue, then you need to work through the troubleshooting steps.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi, DJ5354:

You're throwing good money after bad unless you first diagnose the problem. In other words, if this is a software issue, adding an external drive is only going to result in your having two drives that don't play DVDs.

Please work through these standard troubleshooting steps, including the Dell diagnostics on your drive. When you post back with the results, I need to know what model your DVD drive is.

22 Posts

Thanks for your help. He's only 57 and is smart with computers but this is a tuff one. Unfortunately I'm an Apple person.

22 Posts

Will do that. Its for my brother who is in a nursing home I'm trying to help him out with it. We both are trying to troubleshoot it. It will be a while until he can get on his computer. I bring him DVD movies to watch and having this not work is dreadful. So I'll get back to you later probably in the day. But thanks you have been of great help. Also there are some things he cannot do but hopefully what he can do will work.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Ok, so run through those steps and let me know exactly what happened.

22 Posts

just for now: Its Hitachi HL-DT-ST  DVD+RW GWA4164B

22 Posts

April 8th, 2008 19:00

well he tried everything nothing works. So i guess he'll wait till Vista and perhaps that will clean things up. We have tried everything!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 9th, 2008 00:00

I'm skeptical whether Vista will "fix" anything.

You might want to try the firmware update for that drive.

22 Posts

April 9th, 2008 09:00

Okay, will tell him that, Guess we have nothing to loose. Many thanks.

22 Posts

April 9th, 2008 19:00

Well he's done everything and you seem to know a lot. Now we want to try an external DVD just to be sure its the DVD player before he goes and gets someone to put one in. Do you have any reccomendations on that end. If I need to pick up a cheap one I will. Any make better than hitachi thats in there or I guess its neither here nor there since its external Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 9th, 2008 23:00

For internal drives, I recommendyou shop Newegg, but for external drives, you should shop Newegg! :)

You are not likely to find an external DVD drive that is not also a burner. I'm very sour on generic junk like Memorex and IO Magic.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 20th, 2008 10:00

Excellent! Glad everything is back up and running. :)

22 Posts

April 20th, 2008 10:00

Well got an LG external DVD drive at circuity City. Good price!  DVD works great. So I guess the problem was my internal DVD player, perhaps the laser. 
No Events found!