Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2009 16:00

L400 Hard Drive Issue

I have a Latitude L400 and I installed XP Service Pack 3 in hopes to repair some issues I was having.  I now have too little hard drive space to do anything pretty much and have so little space I cannot delete SP3.  Therefore I tried to do a new install of  Windows XP Professional in hopes of starting fresh.  In setup I received an error message stating I do not have enough hard drive space (I believe 1021 MB) to install the operating system, hence my problem.  I would like to know how to "clean up" my hard drive so that I am able "start fresh" with just the basics of Windows XP, nothing more.  It's a 4 GB hard drive and I tried deleting unnecessary programs and have used disk clean up to try to free up enough space.  Please Help!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 3rd, 2009 18:00

Hi, Billy:

The procedure for your L400 can be found here.  The process starts by wiping the drive completely, so you should end up with plenty of space.

Please post back and let me know what questions you may have.

9 Posts

June 3rd, 2009 22:00

I have already tried to manually install the OS, but I still receive the error message about not having enough room on my hard drive.  I think I'm just going to upgrade to a 30 GB hard drive and do a fresh install on that, that is if that process is within my capabilities (Which I believe it may be :P).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 4th, 2009 17:00

Hi, Billy:

Ok, that's fine, but make sure you follow the procedure I linked to. Good luck!

9 Posts

June 15th, 2009 16:00

I opened my hard disk properties window, "de-compressed" all my files on that disk,  I then compressed the files again (to save disk space...) and that was enough to actually open up over 1300 MB for a fresh XP install, ie. problem solved!

No Events found!