Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

10 Posts

July 21st, 2022 07:00

Motherboard not powering up HDD

My motherboard does not appear to be starting up and reading my HDD on startup - I am getting a "No Hard Drive Detected" error.

The drive itself can be read when used in an external SATA reader and trying a new HDD doesn't cure the problem so I do;t think that it is HDD related.

I have tried new SATA cable with no success

When running Dell diagnostics the power supply is active, spinning up the CPU fan.

Is this a common error - is it more likely a mechanical error, e.g. bad SATA port, or is it in software.  Is there anyway back from this or do I have to replace the entire (2 year old) motherboard?

49 Posts

July 31st, 2022 22:00

Hard drives are usually connected to onboard a SATA or IDE port. If the port that hard drive is connected is disabled, hard drive will not be detected by the computer and you will get a message “hard drive not found”. Thus, when you meet the problem, you need to check BIOS setup.

This may help,
J Wick

3 Apprentice

• 

552 Posts

August 5th, 2022 08:00

Does the SATA power cable inside your computer have an orange wire going to it? I've heard reports that some drives, particularly those that were "shucked" from retail external drive enclosures, fail to spin up if they detect the 3.3 volts that the orange wire provides. Disconnecting that orange wire should allow the drive to spin up and work correctly. Your external reader likely doesn't utilize the 3.3 volt rail, and thus is the reason why you have no issues using the drive externally.

One workaround without excessive modification and assuming that your computer's power supply has a traditional molex connector, is to purchase a male molex to female SATA power adapter, which doesn't make use of the 3.3 volt rail at all. If you don't have a molex power connector, you can, in addition to the previous mentioned adapter, also purchase a female molex to male SATA power adapter, and combine the two together, which will essentially eliminate the 3.3 volt rail without cutting or removing the wire from the power supply.

Another option would be to purchase an inexpensive SATA "Y" power splitter and simply snip off the orange wire on the one side, so that this modification isn't done directly to the power supply's wiring and can be easily reversed if needed.

10 Posts

August 6th, 2022 03:00

Thank you - this is something I shall try. I have been extremely frustrated trying to source a replacment power supply that none appear to have the 4pin ATX +6 pin PCI-e motherboard connectors - all those with 6 pin connector appear to be designed for GPUs rather than motherboards. It feels rather protectionist, as if Dell have designed a custom motherboard and PSU, with no access to replacement parts when they fail!
No Events found!