Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2006 13:00

Moving XPS T450 (98SE) HDD to Dim4400 (XP)

I want to move the WD 13G HDD from my XPS T450 to my Dimension 4400 without losing any of the files. Of course, I'll be changing it from a primary master to a primary slave. Is this possible? If so, how do I do that?

9.4K Posts

January 13th, 2006 13:00

Just check the jumpers on the WD drive to see that they are set for Cable Select.  If they are then plug the WD drive into the middle connector on the ribbon cable for your XP drive in the 4400.

You can click here for additional information on adding a second hard drive from your model's User Guide.

Message Edited by Majestic on 01-13-2006 09:26 AM

17 Posts

January 13th, 2006 14:00

Thanks for your prompt response. I am attempting what you say in your post so it's reassuring that I'm on the right path. Can you tell me how to find the 'cable select' jumper setting for the drive? The drive is a WD AC313600-75DW. I can't find that drive on the WD site. I do find an AC313000 but that shows a 10-pin connector instead of the 9-pin connector on my HDD.

Thanks again,

George

9.4K Posts

January 13th, 2006 14:00

The drive should have a little diagram on it which you can refer to. If not, the jumper setting depends on the number of pins your drive has.  Just count the number of pins and then refer to the chart found by clicking here and follow the diagram for jumpering for Cable Select.  In the WD drive was the original drive installed in the XPS T then more than likely it is already set for Cable Select.

17 Posts

January 13th, 2006 15:00

Thanks again! This is almost IMing!!

The drive was jumpered originally as indicated for CS (pins 1-2 & 5-6) in the link you supplied ... so, hopefully, I'm still on track. Now: the problem is that although the HDD shows up in Device Manager it does not have a drive letter assigned & doesn't show up in My Computer. In DM it shows as 12.73GB FAT32 Healthy (Active). What next?

George

9.4K Posts

January 13th, 2006 15:00

Have you tried using Windows XP Disk Management to assign a letter to a new drive?   I'm a fairly new to Windows XP, but from what I understand until the drive is lettered it won't appear in My Computer.  Click here for a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on how to use Disk Management to assign drive letters. 

17 Posts

January 13th, 2006 21:00

I tried what it said to do at that link. However, when I right-click on the drive, the 'Change Drive Letter and Paths' option is greyed out. Could that be because that drive was "C:" in the computer I took it out of?

George

9.4K Posts

January 14th, 2006 11:00

The fact that the old hard drive was previously a boot drive shouldn't have any effect on Windows XP recognizing it.  With that said I would recommend that you post your current problem over in the Software - Windows XP forum.  I hate to re-direct you in the middle of trying to resolve your problem, but I don't use Windows XP that often and possibly I am overlooking some setting with that operating system.  From my own experience I have a dual boot system with Windows 98 and Windows XP and haven't had a problem with either OS recognizing my 3 hard drives on my XPS T.   You can click here for a direct link to the Windows XP forum.

17 Posts

January 14th, 2006 12:00

Thanks for your patience & all your help. I'm taking your advice & posting on the XP forum. If I ever solve the problem, I'll try to remember to let you know. Thanks again.

9.4K Posts

January 14th, 2006 12:00

I'm glad to have been of assistance and would appreciate hearing how you resolved the problem.  Later this year I will be getting a new system and may run into the same problem.
No Events found!