Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2006 21:00

NEC ND-6650A firmware 1.2x update? Where

I'm willing to try anything that doesn't involve calling Dell Support again.  I just ran NeroInfoTool and see that my NED ND-6650A dvd drive has firmware version 102c. 

Where can I find, on Dell's site, the update to Firmware 1.2x?  I've seen alot of mention of people running these drives with newer firmware.  Maybe that'll solve my problems reading and recognizing CD/DVD media.

I've already done the regedits for the upper and lower filters. Not a complete solution here.

Before I rip the drive out and replace it with the new one Dell is sending me, I'd like to try the latest Dell supported firmware version. 
Why not just wait and trust the new drive?  Every call to Dell ends up with me having to tell them that I do not have a NEC 6500 dvd drive...  They keep wanting me to upgrade my firmware with the NEC 6500 firmware.  If I have no idea what device manager was and how to identify my hardware, Dell would have me in more trouble than I am in now.

Any leads on the 1.2x firmware?

Brett

42 Posts

January 11th, 2006 19:00

What firmware version are you running on your drive? 

23 Posts

January 11th, 2006 19:00

I just today received my NEC ND-6650A from NewEgg ($79.99) and installed it in my Inspiron 8200. I have to say it was if you have small phillips screwdriver it is one of the easiest upgrades you'll ever do.

Anyway, the best place to get info on NED DVD burner is at NEC DVD Burner sub-forum at CDFreaks:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

23 Posts

January 11th, 2006 20:00

I just got it 3 hours ago. It came with 1.23 I will probably go with Liggy's 1.62

42 Posts

January 11th, 2006 20:00

Have you used any of the outside firmware updates?  Are they really safe?  Basically, install the outside firmware update and the warranty is void...

23 Posts

January 11th, 2006 21:00

Obviously not for this one. But I have for others. For instance I have flashed several Memorex burners which were rebadged Liteons to Liteon firmware and increrased the speed from 48x to 52x. You just need to be careful and follow the instructions. It is always a good idea to save the old firmware in case you want to revert. Flashing something on a laptop with battery power backup should be safer than a desktop. The manufacturers designed their stuff to be flashed - particulary CD and DVD burners so they can make them compatible with new media.

January 14th, 2006 16:00

For what it is worth, I have been succesfully running the modified Liggy/Dee 162bt_rpc1.bin firmware (1.62) on my _NEC DVD+-RW ND-6650A for several months with great results. The original firmware was 102C (which I backed up prior to upgrading).

Unfortunately Dell firmware upgrades are usually well behind the "latest and greatest"

The Liggy's and Dee's modified NEC firmwares web page gives you access to the original or modified versions of the firmware.

I have found that using DVD+R media (as opposed to DVD-R) and setting the Booktype to DVD-ROM gives me the best compatibility with my DVD equipment.

The following is from their website:

" Do NOT try to crossflash between 1.** and 2.** firmwares by using Binflash. This is very likely to DAMAGE your drive or make it INACCESSIBLE!"

The following is from their 1.62 readme.txt:

NEC ND-6650A 1.62 BT Firmware

Included files

readme.txt - This file
162bt_rpc1.bin - 1.62 firmware including booktype, riplock and RPC1 patch.

• Booktype

• Booktype setting allows for setting the booktype of a +R/+RW and +R-DL DVD disc to DVD-ROM. This improves compatibility for some older commercial players. The booktype of minus media cannot be changed.
  • Riplock

• Rip Lock removes the rip (reading) speed limitation, (usually set to 2X) on a DVD Video with CSS encryption.

• RPC1

• RPC1 removes region checks and commands.

There is a risk involved in flashing with experimental firmware, so if you do not wish to assume this risk, please do not flash your drive!

Detailed information on how to flash this file can be found at How to flash your firmware on NEC drives

This file was originally downloaded from http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/

Bottom Line

If you are not comfortable with the risks of flashing your drive (using original or modified firmware), do not do it. You can damage your drive and it will void your warranty.

23 Posts

January 14th, 2006 17:00

I haven't done anything to mine yet, although at some poiunt I will probably use a Liggy & Dee firmware.

You don't say in what model you are using yours. I am having a problem with my ND-6659A in an 8200 which just got a new mobo (under my service plan) and a BIOS update to A13.

On approximately every other boot up the startup scren takes a long time and eventually I get a message that the fized optical drive can't be found. If I turn it off and reboot, it finds it. The BIOS is set to "minimal" POST check at start up. I have not tried "thorough" yet.

Any ideas why?

1 Message

February 24th, 2006 04:00

Sadly, I have had the same experience with Dell Technical Non-Support. On 2/23/06 they insisted that I install the firmware for the model 6500 drive --- which, of course, the install routine aborts because the 6650A drive is not recognized as required by the flash utility.

Has anyone else found the firmware upgrade? I'm a little nervous about flashing a non-Dell supported firmware upgrade. Should I be? Especially in terms of voiding the warranty?

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide!

19 Posts

February 28th, 2006 03:00

I have an inspiron 9300 that came with a NEC 6650A. Until two days ago everything was fine with the burner but now I am able to burn but it's taking more than double the time in doing it. I used to burn a full DVD 4.6 Gigs in about 20 minutes and now it's taking me almost 1 hour. My firmware is 102C as the person who started this thread. MY question is: If I've an older firmware is going to affect my burning speed? I was burning just fine and suddenly it's taking so long time.

Thanxxx
No Events found!