Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2003 17:00

NEC_ND1100A update

I have been hearing some are having problems after downloading new firmware update and I was wondering if that is the case or should I just go ahead and do it. I am not sure what problems this update is suppose to solve, anyone know.

15.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2003 18:00

Hi nanaoneal,
My apologies for not getting back to your last post. To my knowledge, coming from Jim, there should be new updates for Roxio`s version 6, so I would suggest you consider giving it a try. As for the firmware, first double check that DMA is enabled for the drive, click on the CD/RW gif in my post and scroll to Section 15, articles 12, 13, & 14, review these first.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

19 Posts

October 22nd, 2003 22:00

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the info, I will check out those threads. I really appreciate all your help and your patience.

19 Posts

October 22nd, 2003 23:00

Jeff,

As for the MyDVD and Roxio compatibilty, Sonic is sending me and updated version of MyDVD4, but I still don't know if it is necessary for me to update the aspi driver since when I try opening the MyDVD I get an error 17235 unable to locate aspi manager.  I am going to download the new Roxio updates in Nov. when they come out but I am not sure that that has anything to do with this problem. Sonic has told me in the past that XP doesn't come with an aspi driver and that I should download one off adaptec site. But the last correspondence just said they were sending me this new disk and so I am not sure if it will take care of all the incompatibility problem. I am getting so confused.

15.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2003 01:00

Hi Nanaoneal,
Since Sonic is going to send you an updated version of MyDVD 4, it might be in your best interest to wait on the other updates / firmware, the new software may solve your problem. Keep us posted OK,

Best Regards

PS: You do need to make sure though that DMA is enabled for the drive.

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

19 Posts

October 23rd, 2003 03:00

Thanks alot, yes I do think I will wait until I receive that updated disk, and I am not sure I want to update my ND1100A, I am not having problems with it and I am afraid that I might run into problems if I was to update it. The two problems are separate and I believe in that old saying " If it isn't broke, don't fix it" I will keep the info that you referred me to, however, in case I deside I should update the firmware.  Thanks again...............

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2003 04:00

Predator,

Perhaps you can help, Dell seems clueless and for that matter careless about their responsibility for the mess created by the NEC ND100A DVD+R/W that thinks it's just a cd burner. I've got the Dimension 4600 (only 2 weeks old) P4 2.4 ghz @ 800mhz FSB, 512 memory and XP home. The NEC 100A works perfect as a cd burner and reader. When I insert a dvd r-w disc to try and format it keeps telling me to insert a blank disc. It absolutley refuses to recognize dvd media with an exception...I was able to force it to read the Shrek dvd in the Sonic DVD program but when it comes up interactual player comes up  and fails to load because it cannot find an ASPI driver. I followed Stephen's post (note it's a year old and Dell had this problem them but still ships out PC's with the same problem!!!) And adaptec said I had no supported drives to update. I downloaded the firmware update, no avail. I upgraded to Roxio 6.1 vs the 5.0 pre-installed no better... I removed the drive in the hardware configuration and allowed xp to re-install and it gladly calls my d: drive a DVD and my E: drive a _NEC DVD+r/w but still reuses to read, burn or recognize andy form of dvd blank media. I've crusied the forum and tried all that I found thus far but to no avail. I tried to find the links that you had posted previously but somehow didn't find the articles you had referred to. Any advice you could offer sure would be appreciated. I'm a bit miffed! I plunked my dollars down to buy a pc that is being shipped out with a known problem and really wanted and needed the dvd-r/w functionality for major digital archiving. Without it, I may as well send this darn thing back as I don't intend to shell out bucks to buy a new drive when Dell is responsible for the fact it doesn't work before they send it out! I thank you so much for any help/advie you can offer...

19 Posts

October 23rd, 2003 18:00

Mickey Mouse,

Just after Predator's response you will see a box that includes an area cd/rw, click on that area and it will lead you to the articles he is talking about. Also I have a question for you, I have MyDVD4 and Roxio Easy CD & DVD CreatorPlatinum 6 and am having problems opening MyDVD. Have you been able to use these two products without any problems. Or do you just have the basic Roxio. When I try to open MyDVD it comes up with an error, unable to locate aspi manager. I know others that have used these software products together but they don't have the same computer so I am just trying to see what is going on. I am afraid to do the ND1100A update because I have seen others that have done it and had problems. You said you are using DVD R-W does that mean you are using DVD+ or DVD- it wasn't clear. I have used DVD+R and don't seem to have any problems. I have also played commerical movies with no problem. I did, however, burn some cd slideshows and they work fine on my computer but don't work on other computers. I find that really weird.  I agree with you, if they have known for all this time that there is a problem with this DVD burner than why are they still shipping them out. I paid alot of money for upgrades and special programs and am really upset to know that I have defective equipment in a new computer. Mine is a 8250 with upgrades.

2.1K Posts

October 23rd, 2003 21:00

Neal: Roxio v6 uses XPs built in aspi and does not require or use any other aspi layer file on the PC.

MyDVD appears to use its’ own or at least requires one to be present on the PC. See what happens with the update.

The NEC drive is capable of writing only to ‘plus’ DVD media. It cannot nor will it ever be able to write to DVD ‘dash’ media.

As I recall you have had difficulty with DVD+RW media. A good test would be to use Creator Classic and create a Data DVD project with that media in the drive. You should be able to run the “Test Only” with out actually burning it to see how it goes. If it does not work, you defiantly need to upgrade the firmware.

19 Posts

October 24th, 2003 05:00

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the information about Roxio. I have a feeling MyDVD doesn't come with an aspi driver because the first message I got from them was for me to download and update from Adaptec's web site, then another tech told me he would send me an updated version, so I am not sure whats going on, I just know I don't want to go through the blue screen again so I have just been trying to collect as much information as I can before going through this again.

As for the NEC ND1100A, it was Mickey Mouse asking about having trouble playing disc's he has recorded, I am not having problems that way, I just thought I would let him know you can't record on a DVD-R. My only question with regard to the DVD burner was should I do the firmware update, others seem to have problems doing that and I thought since I wasn't having problems maybe I should leave well enough alone.  Thanks for answering I can use all the help I can get.

16 Posts

December 18th, 2003 03:00

I am having the same problem, I have downloaded patches and the aspi from adaptec but continue to get the application error: (17235) Unable to detect an ASPI manager.  What is the DMA you mentioned and how do you enable it?   Windows XP Home

Thanks! Tammy

Message Edited by tamshalet on 12-18-2003 12:29 AM

19 Posts

December 19th, 2003 18:00

Tammy,

On page one you will see a response from Predator, Jeff, Just under his response you will see  a picture and a small tab that says try this . Click in that button and you will see different articles, find the ones he suggests and if your brave, try the directions. I never did get the mydvd to work, the company sent me an updated disc, but I was tired and didn't want my computer to crash again, plus Roxio has fixed the problem I was having with their program so I really don't need Sonic's anyway. As for updating NEC_ND1100a I chose not to update the firmware because I really don't seem to be having a problem with it now, and I figure if it isn't broke don't fix it. Many people have had problems with the firmware or didn't have it change anything so I just stayed with what I have. The firmware wasn't recommended by NEC so I figure I am better without it.

Pat

No Events found!