Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

August 14th, 2005 20:00

New D56A firmware upgrade breaks Roxio Direct CD. No backout?

Installed last night the newly available firmware for the Sony D56A DVD burner.  Now Roxio DCD abends when I put a DCD-formatted DVD in.

According to Dell support there are no previous firware versions available to undo this which I find difficult to believe, but caveat emptor with this.

Support said reininstalling Easy CD Creator would fix it.  Also wrong.

Message Edited by IanWorthington on 08-14-2005 06:03 PM

August 14th, 2005 22:00

Another support tech has just told be to do an XP System Restore and that this would reflash the firmware to its previous level.

This sounds unlikely to me...  Is it worth a try?

ian

14.4K Posts

August 15th, 2005 07:00

Using system restore will not roll back the firmware on your optical drive!

592 Posts

August 17th, 2005 01:00

When you use Roxio Drag to Disc you are given the option to use the disc ONLY ON this PC (Select the Use the disc only in this computer option.)
or for all PCS.
Since I often switch computers or move data from one computer to another, I always use the option Below. And I warn EVERYONE to use this option below or if you get into the situation above you may find yourself with unreadable discs. And I find CD rewritable discs especially prone to scrambling data at times if you don't give the drive time to properly close the disc. I don't think this happens with straight Data CDs if you close each setting finally each time since you can't rewrite.

To set Drag-to-Disc to prepare a disc to be used with any drive:
From the Drag-to-Disc menu, choose Settings.
The Settings dialog appears.

Check the box marked Use the disc on other computers or devices.
Click Advanced Eject Settings.
The Advanced Eject Settings dialog opens.

For either nonrewritable or rewritable media, choose one of the following options:
To make discs compatible only with any Windows operating system, select the UDF version 1.02 option. When inserted in some systems, the disc may prompt to install a special UDF file system reader. ......

I guess you could find another computer that uses Roxio Drag to disc or flash the drive back and reclose the discs you've made.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OR MAYBE are you using discs from an older version of ROXIO/Adaptec with older discs written with Direct CD with a brand new version of Roxio ver 7.5?????

Compatibility with DirectCD
Drag-to-Disc is backwards- and forwards- compatible with Roxio DirectCD (version 5.0 and later). This means:

Drag-to-Disc can read and record to any disc created with DirectCD version 5.0 or later
DirectCD version 5.0 or later can read and record to any disc created with Drag-to-Disc
Note: In order to read some discs created by Drag-to-Disc 7.0, DirectCD 5.0 and Drag-to-Disc 6.0 may require an update. This is available online as a download at www.roxio.com.
No Events found!