Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 2nd, 2016 20:00

New XPS 8900 with Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.14 errors

Purchased, new XPS 8900 system.  After less than one week, already experiencing HDD errors.  Checked with Seagate, downloaded the tool and checked for firmware updates.  None available.

Yes, the system is under full warranty and support, but the point here, as I'm hearing repetitious problems as of late with Seagate HDDs failing, am I not the only one?

Seagate (1TB) # ST1000DM003-1ER162

Personally, I always use WD Black drives.  But, this was what I was given.

Any thoughts or an addendum?

15 Posts

February 21st, 2016 14:00

- Update -

After installing a mSATA SSD and attempting to configure Intel RST to use the SSD as a cache drive, I found that the installed version of RST was causing system issues and setting up acceleration wasn't going to happen. 

After a quick visit to Intel's download center, I found an update for Rapid Storage v14.8.0.1042.  I installed it without issue and since all software and hardware problems have disappeared. I was then able to complete the acceleration setup for the SSD cache drive.

Furthermore, HDD errors have also stopped.  I would recommend this updated version.

February 3rd, 2016 08:00

Depends on what you mean on HD errors, there are many types of errors. I prefer Seagate over WD. I have worked and still working in Server and Storage management. Most high end storage is Seagate. I see very little WD in the corporate world. IMHO,

Mike D.

15 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 16:00

These were relatively minor cluster and free space consolidation errors. Nothing a thorough scan and NTFS repair tool couldn't handle.  My concern is that this may be a trend, on what is a brand new machine, drive.

I have no doubt Seagate has a good manufacturing etiquette for business, but seems their reputation has dwindled slightly for consumer-based products, or home use.

I suppose time will tell, if this does become recurring.  Meanwhile, I've d/led SeaTools and will investigate further.

15 Posts

February 3rd, 2016 20:00

- Update -

Seagate SeaTools for Windows would BSOD during initial start upon the USB scan. No USB drives connected to the XPS 8900, no printers. OS: Windows 7 SP1 x64.

Downloaded the SeaTools for DOS ISO and booted to the ODD.  Was able to run the short and long tests without issue, no errors were decteted. So, I will keep an eye on the disk and dismiss this as a simple, recoverable error for the time being.

May even run SFC /SCANNOW to double check system files, just to be safe.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 21st, 2016 14:00

Hi Leee79,

That's great. Updating the Intel RST fixes lots of issues. Glad to hear that worked.

The issues I've heard about Seagate pertain to the 3TB drives. So I think you're ok.

15 Posts

February 21st, 2016 18:00

Thanks!

No Events found!