Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2011 20:00

Newly Replaced DVD Drive Won't Write to Disk

I just replaced my wife's CD/DVD drive on her Inspiron 530I desktop.  I then reformatted her hard disk and then restored everything else so now every thing is working fine except for the CD/DVD drive:  it will read but it won't write.  I used both the DVD PLUS RW and the DVD MINUS RW and both disks generate error messages that say, even AFTER inserting the disk, to please insert a disk.  Both of the above were brand new disks.

I have checked the device listing in the system menu and there is not a single yellow exclamation point.  Further, I have clicked on UPDATE DRIVER and the system tells me that I have the latest driver installed.

I have no other options other than to post my problem onto the forum in hopes that someone will answer it.

Please help,

Dan in Austin

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 8th, 2011 05:00

First, the only driver is the default built in Windows drivers.  There are no 3rd party drivers.

Have you tried "R" discs instead of the "RW" types?   Have tried to burn a CD-R disc?

As this is a new drive that has never worked, could be it's defective.

15.3K Posts

December 9th, 2011 07:00

Hello Jack !!

Just want to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and hope all is well!!

DannyBoy,

Additional information that may help Jack assist you, what is the make and model of the replacement drive?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 9th, 2011 07:00

Jeff, you are right, we need the drive manufacturer and model number.  

Merry Christmas to you and the family.

No Events found!