DannyBoy1096
1 Copper

Newly Replaced DVD Drive Won't Write to Disk

I just replaced my wife's CD/DVD drive on her Inspiron 530I desktop.  I then reformatted her hard disk and then restored everything else so now every thing is working fine except for the CD/DVD drive:  it will read but it won't write.  I used both the DVD PLUS RW and the DVD MINUS RW and both disks generate error messages that say, even AFTER inserting the disk, to please insert a disk.  Both of the above were brand new disks.

I have checked the device listing in the system menu and there is not a single yellow exclamation point.  Further, I have clicked on UPDATE DRIVER and the system tells me that I have the latest driver installed.

I have no other options other than to post my problem onto the forum in hopes that someone will answer it.

Please help,

Dan in Austin

0 Kudos
3 Replies
fireberd
6 Indium

Re: Newly Replaced DVD Drive Won't Write to Disk

First, the only driver is the default built in Windows drivers.  There are no 3rd party drivers.

Have you tried "R" discs instead of the "RW" types?   Have tried to burn a CD-R disc?

As this is a new drive that has never worked, could be it's defective.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
Predator
5 Iridium

Hello Jack !!

Just want to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas and hope all is well!!

DannyBoy,

Additional information that may help Jack assist you, what is the make and model of the replacement drive?

Jeff

"Live Free -- Die Hard"

Forum Member since March 1998

0 Kudos
fireberd
6 Indium

Jeff, you are right, we need the drive manufacturer and model number.  

Merry Christmas to you and the family.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos