Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2012 15:00

No Boot Sector on Internal hard drive and No cd drive

I have a Latitude 2100 in an elementary school.  one of the students dropped it and now the hard drive is bad.  So I replaced the hard drive and it gives me the message No boot sector on internal hard drive Error loading operating system.  I have read other posts about this same message, but they all suggest using the CD/DVD's that came with the computer.  My latitude does not have those drives.  Our district uses USB images and it is not recognizing the usb drive, I guess?  Can you please help?

Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 17:00

Hi CarsonKatie,

This is normal for a new drive since it has no operating system. You will have to load the operating system using either an external DVD drive or a bootable USB flash drive. To boot to either of these, you'll need to set one of them as a boot device in the BIOS.

You can follow Natakuc's clean install guide that I've linked to below.

October 23rd, 2012 18:00

Thank you for your solution!  I am not able, or don't know how to access the BIOS.  I thought that you used F2, but that did not work.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 24th, 2012 06:00

Do you get the blue Dell logo? When you see that, you need to tap F2 a few times and you should be able to get into the BIOS.

No Events found!