Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 11th, 2006 19:00

No Bootable Device but boots fine after F12

Installed new hard drive, loaded XP, but get the "no bootable device message" hit F1 or F2. Won't boot. But when I first turn it on, if I hit F12 while it is in the top right, it builds a one time boot list, and if I select Internal hard drive, it boots fine. In CMOS, CD is first boot device, internal hard drive is second. Neither are disabled in the list.

What could cause it to not see the drive on first bootup, but see it fine after F12?

111 Posts

May 12th, 2006 10:00

take out any cd's before turning on the computer. then make the hdd as your 1st boot device. option keys found at the buttom of the bios screen

4K Posts

May 13th, 2006 03:00

You may have some drives disabled on page 2 in the the regular boot order, and you need to reenable them. Look at the list on page2 and see if your drives' line entries have arrowheads on the left end. If they do not they are disabled. High light them with the U-D Arrow Keys and press the space bar to enable them-put the arrowhead back. The F12 boot order will override and enable disabled drives on a one time basis, but unless you want to do that on every boot, reenable them on BIOS Page 2. If you recheck and the Drives are enabled for certain on page 2, you may have a corrupt BIOS. I have had this happen on 2 I8100s with the A08 BIOS and 1 C800 with A09 BIOS which was corrected by a BIOS Flash to the latest A23. One of the I8100s I could not correct as I was not able to get any drive to boot with the BIOS Flash Software; the second one booted with a Floppy Diskette and drive and after the flash, operation was normal with all drives.

Message Edited by leduke30 on 05-12-200611:16 PM

No Events found!