Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

10 Posts

July 20th, 2022 01:00

No Hard Drive Detected

Inspiron 3881

Inspiron 3881

I have a Dell Inspiron 3881 (2021 vintage)

I have recently had the "No Hard Drive Detected" message.  So far I have tried:

- Removing and reseating the hard drive

- Trying a different SATA cable

- Trying a different (brand new) SATA drive

- Running through every "BIOS" related video I can find on YouTube - check the date, check the startup order etc. etc.

None of these has worked.  I have taken the hard drive out and used it in a hard drive dock on a separate machine and there is no problem reading and writing to it.

The fact that I can read and write to the disk through a dock and that a brand new drive also had this error leads me to think that the error is not with the hard drive but maybe with the motherboard itself, failing to look hard enough to find the hard drive !?

10 Posts

July 20th, 2022 05:00

I wondered about the power supply - I tried using different connectors along the ribbon (in case there was a crack) but no joy.  When I run the Dell diagnostics it fires up the fan on the processor so there is something coming out of the power supply.

Is there anyway to confirm whether it is a motherboard issue and if so what are the options for a replacement - Dell replacement or third party? 

3 Posts

July 20th, 2022 05:00

Bad motherboard was my thought too, that or the power supply is just not powering the drive.

49 Posts

August 1st, 2022 23:00

If your drive is not detected it may be because it is turned OFF in System Setup. Some motherboard manufactures disable unused ports in the BIOS by default. You will need to enter the BIOS setup in order to verify their current state.

Regards,
J Wick

No Events found!