Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 30th, 2008 19:00

Not reading cds, Is sony CDRWDVD CRX 310EE any good anymore?

I have been having trouble with my cd/dvd burner every since I got my dell computer.   The  pre-installed Sonic software was giving me the error message:  "The version of Sonic you have will not record cds." It used to work; I forgot why it stopped. But I found that I was not the only one haveing trouble so I decided to buy new software, and I liked having the physical software disk, so  I got Nero 8 Ultra Edition. I still cant record cds or dvds. It keeps telling me to insert a blank disk. I checked the device manager; there are no error messages next to the drive. 

1 Is it my computer? Do I need to say, "Forget it" and buy a new computer?

2. Is this cd drive any good anymore? 

3. Does this drive record cd, cdrw's, dvds, and dvdrw's? I thought it could record all four. Was I wrong?  I have never had this much trouble just burning cds until I bought this computer. I hope someone can help. Here is my product info:

I have

Dell Dimensione 510,  Model number DM051 -  Cd combo drive is: CDRWDVD CRX 310EE

24 Posts

March 30th, 2008 20:00

Thanks, I just ran the diagnostics. It did not  ask me to insert a cd, but I inserted one anyway. Here is what it said:

Drive 0 ost380819as -pass

Drive1 no device

Drive 2 Sony CDRW-DVDRom CRXEE Not supported

Drive 3 no device

10.9K Posts

March 30th, 2008 20:00

Run the Dell Diagnostics on the drive.  The diagnostics should be
available by pressing F12 at startup while the blue Dell screen
is showing.  Have a data CD (not music CD) ready for the test.

10.9K Posts

March 30th, 2008 21:00

There should be a selection for Custom test.  From there you choose
the CD Drive.  It will run the diagnostics only on that drive and
will ask for a data disc.

24 Posts

March 30th, 2008 21:00

There isn't, it goes to  diagnostice. Whe I select it, no options appear. It starts running the test

24 Posts

March 30th, 2008 22:00

This is what happens: I hit F12. The Boot Device Menu comes, The options are:

• Onboard or USB CD Rom Drive
  • Onboard SATA hard Drive
  • System Set UP
  • Hard Drive Diagnostics
  • Boot to Utility Partition

So I choose hard drive diagnostics.

The diagnostic test begins, it does not give me an option to choose custom diagnostic. Is there another way to run the test? 

10.9K Posts

March 30th, 2008 22:00

I think you choose "Boot to Utility Partition".  Try
that and see if it is there.

24 Posts

March 30th, 2008 23:00

Thanks, yes, it was there. I ran the diagnostic and passed all the tests. What's the next step?

10.9K Posts

March 31st, 2008 00:00

The drive should read CD and DVD media.  It should also write CD media,
but it cannot write DVD media. 

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P105549/en/index.htm

You stated that the drive will not read CDs.  But, it read the CD in the
Diagnostics test?

24 Posts

March 31st, 2008 01:00

I think it has something to do with sonic/roxio, and also the fact that it is not supposed to burn dvds. (I did not know that) My nero was not seeing new dvds that I wanted to burn. (But if the drive is not supposed to burn dvds, that's why)   Neither was I Tunes. It kept saying "insert a blank cd."  So I re-installed dell roxio cd creator and it is now allowing me to burn cdrws.  I don't get the "this version of sonic cannot burn cd" error message anymore- at least not so far. But I have not tested cdrws in Nero though; I would like to use Nero and not Sonic/Roxio. I will test nero and let you know what happens, thanks. 

No Events found!