Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2010 06:00

Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S won't read DVDs

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I've recently purchased a Studio XPS 16 with Win7 Pro, which has a Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-7640S drive.

It can read CDs but it won't read DVDs!?! (The DVDs work fine on other computers.)

When I put a DVD in, and tries to read/open the DVD, it just says: "Please insert a disk into Drive D" and ejects the disk out.

Is this a hardware issue or a software/driver issue?

I checked the Driver Manager and it's using a Microsoft driver, version: 6.1.7600.16385, dated: 21/06/2006. This is the original driver that came with the laptop.

I've tried using Dell's support center but it says my model isn't supported yet! Also, the email support doesn't seem to be working as well!

Thanks in advance

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 7th, 2010 11:00

Hi, Abcdx:

There is a chance that the DVD laser is bad. The way to test this is to run the Dell diagnostics on the drive with a data DVD disc in the drive. I'm pretty sure your Win 7 disc is a DVD. Run the read test on your drive with that disc in the drive.

2 Posts

February 7th, 2010 14:00

Hi Osprey4,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have a feeling it's a hardware failure problem.

I ran Dell diagnostics' Read test on the DVD drive and it didn't run. It said that I need to insert a disk that had data in it, such as an installation disk, which I did insert (put in the Win7 disk and some other DVD disks).   : (

I've tried reinstalling the firmware and also upgraded the BIOS but still doesn't work. Could there be any other problems that I've missed?

I guess I need to get Dell to replace the DVD drive? My laptop's only 3 months old!

Do you know how do I get them to replace it?

Thank you again.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 7th, 2010 18:00

Abcdx 

You need to contact Dell's Technical Support HERE

Have the Laptop's Service Tag and Express Service Code handy.

Bev.

2 Posts

October 28th, 2011 13:00

Sit i am having a same problem here with my 1647 

only reading cds and dvd please help me what to do

2 Posts

October 28th, 2011 14:00

Sir please help me i am having a same problem here 

rom is only reading cds

what is the problem here 

and now what can i do

4 Operator