Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 20th, 2007 13:00

Optical Drive Registry Error

My optical drive (_NEC DVD +- RW ND-6650A) recently stopped showing up under My Computer. There were also errors with the secondary IDE channel as well as the SCSI/RAID host controller, but I think those have been cleared up. I uninstalled the drive but upon automatic reinstallation, the computer says that the installation failed due to an incomplete or damaged entry in the registry. I've used various registry cleaners to attempt to solve this, but the problem persists. The drive itself is fine, it passed all the diagnostic tests (which was interesting because the operating system didn't think there was a drive attached at the time). Any ideas would be appreciated. Let me know if any clarifications need to be made.

10.9K Posts

March 20th, 2007 15:00

Look in the Device Manager .........

Start | Control Panel | System in classic view | Hardware tab | Device Manager

Click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives.  Right-click the drive and select
Properties.  Is there an Error Code (number)?

March 20th, 2007 21:00

The error code for the _NEC DVD +- RW ND-6650A is code 19: "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)." Another broken drive has appeared in the Device Manager under DVD/CD-ROM drives and tries to install itself after the installation for the _NEC drive fails. It's name is FF3604E ZDM031O SCSI CdRom Device and has the error code 41: "Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)." I am not sure why one drive has been coming up as two separate names with two different errors.

10.9K Posts

March 21st, 2007 00:00

Try this Dell Article for removing the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters
in the Registry here .............

Disregard the reference to Roxio.

March 23rd, 2007 03:00

I'm getting the same errors.

10.9K Posts

March 23rd, 2007 11:00

Uninstall the IDE controller in the Device Manager and reboot the system.

March 24th, 2007 00:00

Are you saying to uninstall the "Intel 82801FBM Ultra ATA Storage Contollers - 2653" or the primary or secondary IDE channel? Also there have been some problems with the secondary IDE channel so I've had to uninstall and reinstall that a couple of times but it hasn't helped with the drive.
No Events found!