Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 3rd, 2017 04:00

PCIe SSD compatibility with Dell XPS 8300

I have a XPS 8300 and would like to upgrade to a SSD.  All 4 of my SATA connectors on the motherboard are currently used for HDD and DVD, so my question is: if I buy a PCIe SSD, can I plug it into the vacant PCI-Express card slot I see on my motherboard?

It won't be the end of the world if I have to use one of the SATAs, but given there is a vacant PCIe, I thought I'd try that route first.

Any advice gratefully received.

Many thanks,

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 4th, 2017 11:00

The only way to know would be to try - and given the age of the system, the likelihood it would support PCIe boot -- even in UEFI mode -- is very, very low.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2017 08:00

One should work - as long as you don't have plans to use it as a boot device (it's unlikely an older system like this one will boot to a PCIe/NVMe drive).

March 3rd, 2017 10:00

Thanks for the reply - that's a shame - I was planning to put my windows 10 OS onto it so it would boot up quicker than it currently does.  Is there a way I can find out if the system would allow booting from a PCIe drive?  And if I went for a SATA SSD does that have the same problem of not being the boot device?

March 5th, 2017 12:00

Thanks very much.  I'm going to go the SATA SSD route and hope that works as a boot drive.

No Events found!