Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2007 19:00

Partition, add 2nd drive, Vista - what order?

Given the following:

new XPS410
RAID enabled in BIOS (even though only 1 drive so far)
1 x 250GB SATA II drive installed
1 x 250GB SATA II drive shipped but not yet installed
Windows XP Pro SP2 installed
Windows Vista Ultimate purchased but not yet installed

What order should I perform the following 3 tasks?

1)  partition the first drive?

I want a dual-boot with the following partitions:
     ---------------
     XP (primary):
     VISTA: (unallocated until Vista install?)
     DATA:
     CAPTURE:

2)  install the second drive?

3)  install and setup dual-boot with Vista?

I've spent a few days backing up the factory install, reformatting, installing WinXP, and installing/configuring basic apps.  I'd like to install the second hard drive (RAID 0) and Vista fairly soon, but ... my top priority right now is to finish partitioning the first drive and start using the system with WinXP.

Can I partition the first drive as shown above, install the remainder of my apps, etc., and then  later add the second drive and Vista, without losing any of my work?  I've never added a second drive in a RAID before, nor have I setup a dual-boot with Vista (plenty with Win98 and WinXP, but not with Vista).

Other recommendations and/or techniques would be appreciated.  :smileywink:

Thanks.

Message Edited by ras5280 on 05-27-2007 02:06 PM

9 Posts

May 27th, 2007 23:00

Thanks Keith, 'preciate it.

I notice that you're configured for dual-boot.  Would you (or anyone else) recommend that I create 50GB or so of unallocated space immediately after the C:[WINXP] partition, then create the DATA, CAPTURE and other partition(s) after that?  I would eventually install Vista to this unallocated space contiguous to the C:[WINXP] partition.  Also, any tips re: how to setup dual-boot would be appreciated.  I have a 250GB external hard drive, and own Partition Magic, Acronis Disk Director and True Image, which should make this easier.

(p.s. my understanding of RAID 0 is that when I add the 2nd drive and configure, a migration process of some sort will occur, to make the 2 x 250GB drives behave as 1 x 500GB drive... I have no idea what's going to happen with the extra 250GB - will it be shown as unallocated space or will the existing partitions be resized in some fashion?)

935 Posts

May 27th, 2007 23:00

Yes, you can partition your current drive the way you propose, install apps, etc before you install the 2nd drive without losing any data. Eventhough RAID is set to "on" in the BIOS, you don't have a 2nd drive yet so you really aren't using RAID yet.

When you add the 2nd drive, go into the Intel Matrix Storage Manager software in XP and use the Wizard to setup RAID. Don't use the Intel ROM Utility (what you see at boot up time) to setup RAID 0 or you'll lose all your data. From the software Manager, you can select RAID 0 or 1. I use RAID 1 and I know when I set that up, the Matrix Storage Manager mirrored my first drive to my new drive without me having to do "prepare" the new drive. I have no idea what will happen with RAID 0.

Good Luck.

935 Posts

May 28th, 2007 11:00

You can create whatever space you want for your Vista and other partitions.

I used Acronis Disk Director to resize my C partition down to 30GB. Out of the unallocated space after that, I created a 30GB logical partiton for Vista, 61GB logical partition for Storage and a 100GB logical for backups where I put my Acronis True Image images. Since I have RAID 1, I don't have a need to create the images externally. I also changed the drive letter of the RECOVERY parition to G so that XP and Vista would always show up as C and D when booted into that OS and the other two as E and F. I used Acronis Disk Director from both OS's to do this.

My partitions look like the following:
FAT16 (55mb) hidden Dell Utilities
G: Recovery 10GB
C: XP MCE 30GB
D: Vista 30GB
E: Storage 61GB
F: Backups 100GB

I really don't know about how the additional 250GB will appear after your RAID 0 migration completes.

3.3K Posts

May 28th, 2007 15:00

Raid 0 will display the total useable space of both hard disks as one. Something like 467 or so Gb's.

940 Posts

May 28th, 2007 18:00

Just realize that using Raid 0 if you have one disk fail you will loose everything. So if you go this route make sure to have a 3rd drive either internal or external to backup all your data.

3.3K Posts

May 29th, 2007 12:00

Yes, what dcgtls said is absolutely true!!!
I use raid 0 in both of my 700's, performance is AWESOME, but my system is set to back up every Friday nite automatically, and if I edit any images, or add any important files, I manually back them up before I shut down. My systems use 2-250gb WD drives in raid 0 for the primary drive, and 2 single 500gb WD drives for storage and backup, plus numerous external drives for b/u and storage. basically, I don't store much at all on my primary drive. I like raid 0, but it's certainly not for everyone.
So be sure you want to go through this type of back up process before you decide to go raid 0. Raid 5 is an option, but I'm not sure if the Intel board supports it.

9 Posts

May 29th, 2007 14:00

Thanks for all of the good info. :smileywink:

When I get around to adding the second drive, and assuming I set up RAID 0 ... where the heck will the space from the 2nd drive show up?

I currently have the first drive partitioned as follows (note that D: & E: are CD/DVD drives):

C:[WINXP] -- 40GB
(unallocated) -- 50GB  <-- reserved for Vista dual-boot install later on
F:[DATA] -- 50GB
G:[BACKUP] -- 100GB

During the data "migration" or initial striping or whatever it's called, where will the extra 250GB go?  Will it be proportionally added to each partition (doubling the size of each), or ... added as unallocated space, or what?

Thanks.

1.3K Posts

May 29th, 2007 20:00

Personally since you want to have dual boot setup, I would not RAID the two drives.   Not sure how well RAID would work with two version of the OS either.  

Also problem with RAID 0 loosing everything if one drive fails.   
No Events found!