Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 23rd, 2005 02:00

Philips CDRW/DVD SCB5265 driver corrupt (new Insp 6000)

My Inspiron 6000 is one week old.  The CD/DVD stopped working.  Went to device manager - drive is indicated with a problem.  Followed directions to uninstall and then install:  same error message.  Even tried the Dell utils/driver disk (which I had to copy onto a removable USB drive to install since my CD drive isn't working!) .  Nothing.  Went to Dell's site for drivers to download: the Philips driver isn't even listed.  I googled for this driver, but can't find it. 

This is very frustrating.  Any advice?  I tried the chat, but after waiting 30 minutes, no response. 

This is my fifth Dell and, until this one, have had no substantial problems.  Not off to a great start here, though!

Thanks in advance for your advice.  Obviously I can't do much until I get the CD/DVD driver working.

Regards,
Harry

14.4K Posts

August 23rd, 2005 08:00

Could you state the exact error message regarding driver corruption that you see in device manager?

2.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2005 12:00

Harry,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Please run the CD/DVD drive test from the Dell Diagnostics.  This should tell you if there is a hardware problem.

August 24th, 2005 00:00

Thanks for your reply.  The problem has been solved (see my earlier post today).  I had run the Dell Diagnostics but it didn't identify a problem.  It was the windows hardware profile that identified it.

Best regards.

August 24th, 2005 00:00

Hi - the message was "cannot load device driver for this hardware.  Driver may be corrupt or missing. Code 39".  However, after I posted my note, I found another posting with the same problem and, in fact, your response, to delete certain filters from the registry.  I followed your instructions and the drive is again working.  So, thank you.  I wish I understood what it means!  My main concern, though, is how did the driver become corrupt (or how did the "filter" values get added)?  Will this happen again?  The drive was working just fine until it suddenly stopped. 

In any event, thanks again for your help.

Best regards.

January 7th, 2015 03:00

Philips CDRW/DVD SBC5265 USB Device DVD/CD-R

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 7th, 2015 15:00

Hi Elsadelamaza813,

If you need help, please start a new thread. Be sure to provide the model of your Dell and operating system, as well as a detailed description of the problem.

No Events found!