Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2010 08:00

Power DVD DX Bad Update?? Can no longer play Avatar Blu-Ray

After a recent update I can no longer play Avatar Blu-Ray I can play other Blu-Ray disks fine (tried True Blood and Iron Man 2) and I can play Avatar on over Blu-Ray devices.

After trying to play the disk it displays the copy protection warning and then a black screen, the time stamp displays "Chapter 1 00:00:00/00:00:00"

I have tried unistalling Power DVD DX  and reinstalling the latest version  and the problem persists. My guess is that the update is bad and is accumulative. Any ideas?

PowerDVD DX 8.3.1.6107

14.4K Posts

November 20th, 2010 11:00

Is this the Avatar EE version?

39 Posts

November 20th, 2010 16:00

I have the avatar EE version and cannot play it as well.

November 20th, 2010 18:00

Welcome to the Club. I do not understand why dell doesnt provide the software that comes with the Blue Ray Player and them create a modify scary broken version of Power Dvd.

I did have the same problem with Avatar. Now the instructions that I got was "to update the drivers". There are not drivers updates for this Dell crap.  

14.4K Posts

November 21st, 2010 02:00

Avatar EE uses a new form of security and this could be the issue as opposed to a "problem" with an early version of powerdvd.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 21st, 2010 05:00

Uninstall PowerDVD and reinstall but do not update.

Since you idetified a problem with the update, I'm wondering why you reinstalled it.

And this is not a Dell problem but a general problem with all PCs that use blu-ray software. The HDCP stuff is clearly out of control and the best approach is to use one of the hacks that are becoming more widely available.

4 Posts

November 21st, 2010 13:00

Just the standard edition of Avatar

I've tried reinstalling it and not updating it however it wont play and just asks me to update it

I think the updates might be acumulative so that its now its impossbile to update to the halfway stage when the disk did work.

I've identified thats its definatly a copy protection problem.

I find it annoying how copy protection prevents me from playing a legitimate disk I've spent money on and with legitimate software, and they wonder why people turn to piracy.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 21st, 2010 16:00

It's called HDCP, if you want to do some homework on the topic. There is plenty of help on cracking HDCP.

4 Posts

November 30th, 2010 09:00

Sorted it. Got Dell to send me PowerDVD 9.5 still an OEM version but not as customized as PowerDVD DX 8.3

When will they learn? OEM version are a waste of time and money, both in making thm and sorting out the bugs.

1 Message

November 30th, 2010 13:00

I've just got the new Extended edition of Avatar and it won't play properly in my Studio 17 in Power DVD DX 8.3.....The symptoms are it starts to play and the intro is OK then it starts getting pixelated and jumpy and is unwatchable. Do you think this is the same issue?  Did you have to call DELL support to get the PowerDVD 9.5?  Thanks.

39 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 22:00

Same problem here with Avatar EE.  Wasted a TON of time contacting many companies and trying a lot of different software.  I'm mainly trying to watch the 2nd and 3rd discs now.  I am using a trial of Total Media Theatre 5 from Arcsoft but the software costs $100 and crashes often.  I still can't access the BD Live material.  PLEASE provide any help available. I'd like to watch these discs without so much hassle.   DELL's support is horrible.  They've been asking for more info via e-mail but when I reply I get messages that their mailbox is undevilerable or the message is delayed.

Please help, if you can provide me with reliable software or updates, or a way to get DELL to send me usable software, or the location of hacks to allow me to use discs and software that I've already spent a ton of money on, that would be really great.

Happy Holidays,

Roger

December 3rd, 2010 21:00

"Dell Power DVD" is a disgrace. I just went to the store last black Friday and I got a Bluray Player for $50. Connected to the internet with a network cable and all updates came through without a problem. Forget to tell you that it does play the just new release of the movie in question Avatar. The DVD had internet connection soon we do not have to buy DELL to surf the internet. I have to complete forget about Dell if they do not support the proprietary software that they modify. I am pretty upset with DELL 100s spend and it is just good for a year. In the pass 10 years I get from Dell 2 Desktops and one Laptop. When Windows & rollout 2009 in November replace all my desktops and Laptos. I did try an HP and it is working pretty well with the added software. I cannot say the same with the Dell Media Center acquired at the same time.

December 3rd, 2010 21:00

"Dell Power DVD" is a disgrace. I just went to the store last black Friday and I got a Bluray Player for $50. Connected to the internet with a network cable and all updates came through without a problem. Forget to tell you that it does play the just new release of the movie in question Avatar. The DVD had internet connection soon we do not have to buy DELL to surf the internet. I have to complete forget about Dell if they do not support the proprietary software that they modify. I am pretty upset with DELL 100s spend and it is just good for a year. In the pass 10 years I get from Dell 2 Desktops and one Laptop. When Windows & rollout 2009 in November replace all my desktops and Laptos. I did try an HP and it is working pretty well with the added software. I cannot say the same with the Dell Media Center acquired at the same time.

39 Posts

December 4th, 2010 09:00

I agree with you.  I bought a laptop, a desktop, an alienware laptop, and a new desktop.  I buy top of the line and spend about $5000 each time.  Looks like time to find a vendor with worthwhile support.

Seems like Power DVD 9.5 is the answer then?  I'll contact DELL and see if they will send me it.  Other options are buying software from ArcSoft or Slysoft.

4 Posts

December 6th, 2010 17:00

I had the same problem with the same version of PowerDVD DX, and for me the solution was to disable my wireless Internet connection before trying to play the Avatar EE Blu-Ray. Then I could start the DVD, and it played correctly. Also, after the DVD was playing, I could re-enable the wireless Internet connection and surf the Internet while the DVD continued to play correctly.  A friend of mine has an Oppo B-83, and he couldn't play it until he disabled the BD-Live feature, which I believe uses an Internet connection. Hope this helps.

1 Message

December 9th, 2010 11:00

Thank you!

turning off the internet connection solve it for me.

Like you said, once it's playing, you can turn it on again, whoopee!

No Events found!