Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2009 09:00

Precision 670 pata problem

Hi, the 670 has a fresh install of XP pro sp3. 2gb ram, A07 bios ,AIC-7901 host & a pair of 68 wide LVD HDDs on a 5 connector cable. The OS HDD is on the first connector
   configured as ID-0. The 2nd & 3rd connectors are empty. The fourth has a HDD configured as ID-1 and jumped for Term Pwr. The fifth Has foxconn ultra 320 terminator. The ultra 320 is no where in device mgr. 
   Raid is off. SCSI is on.
 The problem is Bios doesn't see the HDD as pata drives.It does see the dvd&cd which are on IDE2 cable as pata drives 4&5. It lists pata 2&3 as unknown.
  Bios has been installed twice & HDDs have updated firmware.
  On start up the drives show up in slot 00, CH A, Bus 16 With their IDs 0&1  and will boot.
  The drives are are listed in the SCSI utility but not in BIOS.
  This is my first stab at using pata. There were no 3rd party drivers added at the OS install. Was this a mistake and if so what should have been added? What am I missing and how do I get  the HDDs listed in BIOS as pata drives?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 10th, 2009 04:00

Hi, rixboox:

All IDE devices should be jumpered cable select. For the SCSI jumpers, check against this page. If the BIOS shows unknown, that usually means a jumper is set incorrectly.

8 Posts

December 10th, 2009 06:00

Hi, Scsi HDDs do not have a cable select option.  "a SCSI bus must be uniquely identified for addressing purposes."

Unfortunately "this page" is outdated -- "Bear in mind that SPI-4 and Ultra320 are still under development. Not much is known about the specific features that will be agreed to in this new version of the interface, so details are not yet complete."

The ultra 320 wide has been around for at least 5 years.

Thanks for trying.

"When the gods want to punish you, they answer your prayers"

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 10th, 2009 15:00

Yes, I understand. I said IDE devices should be jumpered cable select. The page I referred you to has the correct information for setting the SCSI device ID.

8 Posts

December 10th, 2009 19:00

Precisely where did I mention that I had any IDE hardrives and precisely how is my configuration wrong?

WHY ME?

No Events found!