Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 4th, 2010 12:00

Problem Using FORMAT to reformat a Hard Drive

I have an Dimension 2350 running XP sp 1. I have the Windows backup disk supplied by Dell. I want to totally reformat the C: drive. I cannot delete the partition, so I tried the following:

Reboot using Disk

Go to set up screen.

Select Recovery Console, selected my Windows version (only have the 1), and administrator password.

At the C: prompt (actually it was C:\WINDOWS>), I type "MAP" and enter.

I read the following: "C: NTFS   28593 MB  \Device\harddisk0\Partition1" as well as A:, D: and E:

At the prompt, I typed "FORMAT C: /fs:ntfs" and enter. Then I typed "y" and enter at the check-prompt.

After a couple of seconds, I got the prompt. The partion is still there. Nothing was reformatted.

Please advise on what I am doing wrong.

Thanks,

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Formating does not get rid of a partition.

10.9K Posts

I use Windows 7, so from memory ...............

If you want to format the C: partition and install Windows XP, do not use the
Recovery Console.  Select Setup Windows XP.  It will go through the Welcome,
licence agreement, etc until you get to Choose an installation partition.  Choose C:
and on the next screen you will have options for formatting.  Recommend NTFS (Quick).

For reference ..............

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

195 Posts

January 4th, 2010 13:00

Try this a see if it will remove the partition.

Boot into your CD/DVD ROM drive with the Vista installation DVD inserted

Proceed with the installation until you see Type your product key for activation

Press Shift + F10

Type Diskpart

Type Select Volume X; X being the NTFS Partition you want to shrink to create free disk space

Type list partition, hit Enter or Type list disk, then hit enter.

Type select disk X; X being the Drive on which you want to delete a partition. Hit return.

Type delete partition Y; Y being the partition you want to delete followed by enter

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

celderkin

HOW to format the C:/ drive using the XP Recovery Console.

But, if you are trying to reinstall XP, deleting the exsisting partitions and formatting the hard drive is part of reinstalling XP.

See HERE

Check sections 5 to 12 for the info, [click on image to enlarge].

Bev.

112 Posts

FDISK is for managing partitions. Format will only do that - format an existing partition - which should be fine if you're simply trying to reinstall windows.

But, if you're looking to combine multiple partitions into one, or split a single partition into multiple partitions, FDISK will get you there.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 4th, 2010 14:00

Try this a see if it will remove the partition.

Boot into your CD/DVD ROM drive with the Vista installation DVD inserted

Proceed with the installation until you see Type your product key for activation

Press Shift + F10

Type Diskpart

Type Select Volume X; X being the NTFS Partition you want to shrink to create free disk space

Type list partition, hit Enter or Type list disk, then hit enter.

Type select disk X; X being the Drive on which you want to delete a partition. Hit return.

Type delete partition Y; Y being the partition you want to delete followed by enter

gator6x4

The OP is using XP, not Vista.   :emotion-5:

Bev.

No Events found!