Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2010 18:00

Problem with DVDs Burned by TSSTcorp DVD+- TSH653 Drive

I purchased and installed 1-2-3 COPY DVD software to burn DVDs with. I had no trouble installing the software and my DVD burner has no trouble recognizing blank discs.

The problem I have concerns the DVDs after I have burned them.

I have made 3 DVDs so far of movie files that were on my hard drive and all of them freeze at a point fairly early on in the playback.  I am not sure what the problem is or how to correct it.

The blanks I am using are Maxell DVD-R. I have another stand-alone DVD Player/Burner and have used these same blanks (from the same batch) in that stand-alone burner. I have never had a problem playing back those discs, so I'm thinking it's not the blanks.

I did first attempt to clean the burned DVDs using a lint-free cloth, but each of them froze again at the exact same point that they froze initially, so I eliminated the "dirty disc" concept. (It would also be unlikely that all 3 of the discs would have that problem).

I attempted to play these discs on a DVD player, a Blu-Ray disc player and 2 computers. They froze on all the machines. Thus, eliminating the "problem is with the playback mechanism."

Does anyone have any idea what is causing the problem - and more importantly, what could be a solution?

BTW – My operating system is Windows 7.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 25th, 2010 11:00

Hi BillyBatson4360,

Maxell are usually good media, but they also brand some CMC and Ritek discs. Go to Osprey's Toolbox (link below) and get DVD Identifier. Using that program, let's make sure your discs are not CMC or Ritek. The other codes you might see are MXL or TYG, both of which are first quality.

June 25th, 2010 16:00

The discs are MXL.

As I posted, I did not believe it was the discs as I have used discs from this same batch in my stand-alone DVD burner and havenever had a proplem.

So, what next - any thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 25th, 2010 18:00

Ok, that's good. I'm just trying to be thorough.

So you have the files on your hard drive. First, have you tried playing the files from the hard drive? My other idea would be to burn the video files using a different program.

June 26th, 2010 12:00

Yes. I have played the files from my hard drive. They play without glitches. I am going to try both updating the firmware for my burner and burning using different software.  Will report back.

June 26th, 2010 15:00

Okay, updating the firmware was a no-go. The model # (TS-H653G) was apparently a model TSST Corp manufactured only for Dell as they do not list the model on their website. They do list a TS-H653F and TS-H653H but trying to update with either of those simply causes my computer not to recognize the burner at all.

I tried burning one of the movies again using different burning softwrae. The resulting DVD again had the same problem. It froze in the player within the first 15 minutes of playback. By the way, it froze at a different point than the earlier DVD I made of this same movie.

I am thinking the problem is with the burner.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 27th, 2010 07:00

Yes, I'm quite sure it's the burner. Did you see this: http://www.firmwarehq.com/Samsung/TS-H653G/files.html

June 30th, 2010 10:00

Thank you for your help. It WAS the burner.

After several lengthy and sometimes very frustrating phone calls to Dell phone tech support (amongst the worst I have ever encountered!), they finally shipped out a replacement burner and a local tech to install it.

It was installed yesterday and is wroking perfectly. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2010 08:00

Excellent. Happy to hear a positive outcome.

No Events found!