Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2005 14:00

Problems formatting my HD

Dear Dell Contributor:

Yesterday I was trying to restore my Windows with the Restore CD and in the middle of Windows installation I got a blue screen saying that something is wrong with some hardware or software that I have installed, that I should try lo reboot in Safe Mode, but I cannot initialize my computer not even in Safe Mode!!! so I'm stuck in a loop. If I restart with the CD inside, it tries to resume the setup, and if I don't put the CD on, it ask me to put it.

So I was planning to go the old fashion way: FORMAT C:. but I don't have floppy drive plus I don't have a boot disk or CD. Where can I get it.

Please HELP. S.O.S!!!

a

77 Posts

September 16th, 2005 16:00

When you went through setup did you start a repair installation or were you trying to start fresh with a new install?

2 Posts

September 16th, 2005 16:00

At the very beggining you mean?? I hit "refresh installation". But now I cannot start again from the beggining, I cannot halt the current installation, I'm in a loop.

Thanks,

a

77 Posts

September 16th, 2005 17:00

When setup loads the files, after it reboots it actually boots from the hd and runs setup from the files copied there.

It sounds like that is what is happening, your machine is not booting to the cd it is booting from the hard drive and trying to continue setup.

Have you tried booting the resource cd and running the diagnostics to rule out a hardware problem?

Also, how old is your machine?
You might be able to do this:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151

9 Posts

October 9th, 2010 19:00

When setup loads the files, after it reboots it actually boots from the hd and runs setup from the files copied there.

It sounds like that is what is happening, your machine is not booting to the cd it is booting from the hard drive and trying to continue setup.

Have you tried booting the resource cd and running the diagnostics to rule out a hardware problem?

Also, how old is your machine?
You might be able to do this:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1090151

The link is wonderful, Thanks a lot! It's helpful to me.
No Events found!