lowrysam
1 Copper

Program Memory Area (PMA) update failure when burning DVD or CD

I have tried everything for two months to fix this, except replace the drive.  The problem is intermitten.  I can burn one disc, and the next two fail. Burn two more discs, and the next five fail. It is truly random.  The error happens when writing the lead-in on the disc.  It usually says something like "Program Memory Area Update failure" or similar depending on the software used.  The disc becomes unusable.  Yet, if it gets past the lead-in without an error then it finishes just fine.  These are the tests I have done so far:

1. used multiple burning software- imgburn, nero, CDburnerXP, starburn, even windows built-in burner.  All fail with the same randomness and same frequency.

2. used multiple vendor discs- I am a business and had my vendor give me discs of every major brand.  I usually prefer Taiyo Yuden discs for their reliability.  All brands failed with the same randomness.

3. burn multiple files and formats- ISO, data, music.  The same file can be used (e.g. an ISO file) several times and it will fail with the same randomness and frequency.

4. Uninstall, reinstall, roll-back STPD drivers, RAID drivers, ATAPI drivers, SCSI drivers, SATA drivers.  I really feel that this is where the problem is.  I just need to find the right combination.  These problems seem to have occured after a Dell recommended firmware update, BIOS update, and driver update.  I think so anyway.

I have the Studio 435T, i7 920, 6GB RAM, GH50N 16x DVD burner (SATA), ATI Radeon 4870, 1TB drive.

Does anyone have any ideas or have had this problem before?  I dread calling Dell Tech Support.  They are a nightmare that I never want to repeat again.

If someone has a newer 435T and wouldn't mind taking a snapshot of the device manager with the following twirled down- DVD/CD ROM drives, IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, Storage controllers- that would be a huge help (see a sample below).  I can compare to what I have now, driver-wise, and try to match it.

Right-click here to download pictures. To help protect your privacy, Outlook prevented automatic download of this picture from the Internet.

Thanks to everyone who can help me!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
7- Gold

Re: Program Memory Area (PMA) update failure when buring DVD or CD

Hi Lowry Sam,

LG drives seem to be prone to this. I do not see any remedies beyond a firmware update. Have you checked Dell Downloads? I see a B102 f/w out on the web.

0 Kudos
lowrysam
1 Copper

I have B103 in there now.  I received it from the dell drivers updates in January.  I still wonder if this was the problem.  Is it possible to roll-back firmware?

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Lowry Sam,

Yes, that's exactly what I would suggest. There is no problem installing older firmware. Same procedure.

0 Kudos
lowrysam
1 Copper

It didn't work.  I restored it back to B102, the firmware it started with.  The first two discs worked... the next two failed.  This is what it says:

I swear it is a SCSI / ATAPI / SATA issue.  I need to know what drivers I should have that work.  If someone could give me that screen capture I mentioned previously, that would help.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Lowry Sam,

The actual device driver for any optical drive is generic to the operating system. But you could try going to the Intel site for a better matrix storage driver.

At some point, if you consider going with another drive, they're fairly inexpensive, ~$25 or so. You could keep your existing drive and add a second.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lowrysam
1 Copper

The drivers issue is a mess.  I started out with the Intel ICH10 SATA controller and the jMicron controller installed...I think. Then I used the Dell recommened updates to update both.  Only now the Intel controller was called ICH10R  (emphasis added). Is there a difference?  Well, I went to the intel site to download their recommended driver and it gave me the same thing, ICH10R.  Since then I have uninstalled, reinstalled, rolled-back and installed Microsoft SCSI alternates.  I trolled numerous boards and tried all kinds of tweaks and software.  Nothing has worked.  I have done so much that I can't remeber what I had in the first place.

If only I could see a sample of a working device manager, I could have a good starting point.  I'm not sure that buying another drive is the answer here if it is driver related.  My computer is not classifying the drive as a SATA like it should.  It sees it as ATAPI or IDE.  I don't know why.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Yes, that's a good point. The drive seems to be running in IDE-emulation mode, whereas it should be AHCI. However, I'm not seeing this as an option in the BIOS. It's a bit tricky to change IDE-emulation to AHCI but it can be done. I'm afraid I can't provide instructions but Google is your friend.

0 Kudos
lowrysam
1 Copper

I fixed it! Well, I'm 99% sure I did.  We were on the right track and what you said about AHCI and IDE-emulation was pretty close.  It was the ICH10R (Intel Controller Handler 10 RAID) that I downloaded in January from Dell.  Even Intel was saying that this was the recommended driver when I visited their site. 

Well, I didn't like the RAID (R) part of the filename so I searched all over the Intel site for the original ICH10 file (no R).  It was next to impossible to find anything using their search engine.  I found the automatic "Intel Chipset Device Software" for my chipset (X58 or 5 series).  For those looking for the same file, it is called infinst911autol.exe.  I ran it.  It installed only one file: ICH10.  All of my SATA ports came back and my drive was once again indentified as SATA.  The RAID driver was screwing all of that up.

I did 5 burns and they all worked perfectly.  I'm hoping that's it.  SO, the lesson here is: don't upgrade from the Dell site unless it is absolutely necessary.  And this is despite the constant e-mails from Dell recommending that you upgrade.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

0 Kudos
7- Gold

Way to go!! Glad to have gotten you pointed in the right direction.

0 Kudos