Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 9th, 2012 18:00

Question about adding DVD-RW drive to my dimension 8400

Hey!
I have added this DVD-RW drive that I got out of another computer to my dimension 8400.
I removed the dvd-rw drive out of that computer than removed the cd drive out of the dimension 8400 and replaced it with the dvd-rw drive. I noticed that it said dvd-rw drive when I looked at it in "my computer" so I figured I don't have to worry about installing a driver for it or anything.
Today I tried to save some files to a CD by dragging the folder over the dvd-rw drive and I got this  "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function."
What do I need to do to get this dvd-rw drive properly?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 12th, 2012 12:00

Ok, I just figured out what the problem is. Only one of your drives can be used by Windows XP to write files to a CD. In your case, you have a CD burner that is already designated to be the burner drive. You need to go to drive properties for your DVD drive, and you'll see a "recording" tab. Click that tab and check the box to enable CD burning for your DVD drive. This will disable CD burning for your other drive.

This limitation to burn to just one drive is an XP issue. You can use any other burning program to burn to either drive, such as the very popular ImgBurn.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 10th, 2012 03:00

Hi xales_username,

I assume you have Windows XP. Can you locate the model of the DVD drive for me? What blank CDs are you using?

14 Posts

December 10th, 2012 07:00

Yes, I am using Windows XP.

Dont know much about the dvd drive, i just removed it from another PC, and on the front of dvd drive it just has the dvd rw logo and compact disk logo and that's it... Is there any way I can find out?

Should I be looking for a driver to install for the dvd drive after I find out the brand and model?

Thank you.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 10th, 2012 09:00

The same generic Windows driver is used for all CD and DVD drives, so that's not the problem.

You should be able to find the model number in device manager.

14 Posts

December 11th, 2012 19:00

Thanks for the reply osprey4, I really apreciate the help.

I've looked under device manager and it says *LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S

Any idea on how I should be able to fix the "D:\ is not accessible. Incorrect function." issue?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 12th, 2012 05:00

Try this for me.

Select files you want to write to the blank CD in the drive. With the files selected, right click and choose "Send to" and you should see your DVD-RW drive in the list of available destinations. If you choose that drive, you'll get a little popup in the system tray that you have files waiting to be written to a CD. Click that little icon and you should be able to write those files.

So that's how it supposed to work. Please let me know if you see what I've described or something else.

14 Posts

December 12th, 2012 10:00

Thanks for the reply once again... :emotion-21:

Unfortunately, I do see something different, when I right click on "Send to" I see the "CD-RW Drive (E:)", which I assume is my cd drive, but there is no "DVD-RW Drive (D:)" , which I assume should be my dvd drive.

I popped in a itunes installation cd in the dvd drive to see if the dvd driver works at all and it read it... so I guess it reads cd's/dvd's I just dont know why I get that error message & why the drive wont show up in my "send to" now...

Thanks

14 Posts

December 12th, 2012 17:00

Thanks for all the help osprey4! Problem solved, no more questions! haha

No Events found!