Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

October 25th, 2017 12:00

RADEON R3 SSD on E6430 compatibility issue

I just bought one brand new RADEON R3 SSD 240GB drive and it is impossible to make it recognized by my Latitude E6430 machine. 

Actions taken: 1) installed on main sata bay, set the bios to AHCI and ATA, without any response. Sometimes it is recognized in BIOS but when i try an USB windows installation setup it does not appear in list of drives to be installed on. Tried two operating systems, win 7 and win 10 with similar results 2) Installed on expansion disk bay, same actions as previous taken, same results. 3) Installed the SSD on USB external rack, no issues. successfully NTFS formatted.

Already tried with 7 mm to 9.5 mm spacer without success.

Please advise

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

October 26th, 2017 03:00

Hi valip,

The fact that the SSD isn't always detected in BIOS suggests that there is a hardware issue of some kind. You say that you used  a spacer when fitting the drive, but did you use the isolators that fit on either side of the drive too?

downloads.dell.com/.../latitude-e6430_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

(page 20)

What kind of drive was previously fitted? Were there any issues with it?

If you could let us know, thanks.

4 Posts

October 26th, 2017 09:00

Hi, 

On this drive i cannot fit the isolators and the spacer at the same time. This AMD SSD drive is pretty bulky and the isolators makes a tight fit (see att. pictures). Even when the BIOS (Legacy or UEFI) identifies the SSD the system will not boot (the machine outputs a message No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine). The SSD with SO on it is working perfectly on two other machines This SSD is replacing standard 320 GB  Seagate drive..

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

October 27th, 2017 02:00

Did you try with no spacer at all (most SSDs for the E6430 are 7mm and don't have a spacer)?

Can you try removing the bottom cover which will allow access to the drive bay so you can make sure there is a good connection:

downloads.dell.com/.../latitude-e6430_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

(page 15)

4 Posts

October 27th, 2017 06:00

I've tried a few times with the spacer only to see how the connector reach up to the s-ata connector without stick it to the drive. Most of the tries I've done are with isolators, due to the fact that, from may point of view, it has a better fit. I saw from other threads that the main issue is that the SSD it's not connecting properly to the s-ata connector, but it is almost impossible to see inside the drive bay, even without the back cover removed. I'm hoping that, from other users, to see if there are some reference's for me to see if the SSD is properly connected to the s-ata connector and not with try and error.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

October 31st, 2017 11:00

Just following up to see if you had any success fitting the drive?

Thanks

4 Posts

October 31st, 2017 11:00

Hi,

No I did not. From my point of view this a a incompatibility with this system (i7, 3740QM, 8 GB). I've mounted the SSD on the expansion bay an still no success in booting and/or installing system but after I've booted from original HDD, after the system resumes from stand-by and only after this step, the windows installed the drivers and I've been able to access the SSD.  Of course, I've tried to boot from the SSD and again with no luck. Right now i'm using it as second drive on my expansion bay but i'm thinking into returning the drive because i'm out of ideas. No point in trying again with the hardware alignment because is clearly a software issue.

No Events found!