Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2012 13:00

RAID Controller Failure

I'm working with an E510 that tells me drive 2 is missing.  I've replaced the drive, then checked the cable, and the problem seems to go back to the mother board.  I'm working with 3 good drives, all seen on drive 0, and not seen on drive 2.  Do I have to replace the motherboard to correct the failure?  Should I try to limp along with one disk?  When I look into breaking the mirror, it warns me that 'ALL DATA WILL BE LOST'.  Is that true?  Your advice appreciated.  TR

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2012 14:00

Hi TomR5,

"Tells me" meaning what? I assume that SATA 2 is ON in the BIOS?

If the drives are mirrored, then no, you should not lose data.

2 Posts

February 17th, 2012 19:00

SATA 2 is not found in the BIOS.  The RAID volume is shown as degraded.  The drives have been checked and they are all functional when put on SATA 0.  The problem appears to be in the RAID controller. I'm concerned about losing the operating system by converting the RAID drive to a non-raid drive.  The other question is can the controller be repaired without replacing the motherboard.  TR

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 18th, 2012 04:00

Sorry, not sure what you mean by SATA 2 not found in the BIOS. On the drives page, it should show the Controller type (ATA or SATA), the port number the drive is using, the drive ID, capacity, and whether the drive is controlled by the BIOS.

You could try running the Dell diagnostics from your drivers and utilities CD to check the functionality of the controller.

No Events found!