Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 14th, 2005 15:00

Raid help

Well I bought an extra 160 HDD for my 8400 meaning to creat a raid 1 back up and of course I accidently created a raid 0. Computer works like a champ, but this is my work at home PC and I want reduntancy. I don't want to reformat and wanted to know my options.

Can I add a 3rd HDD and create a raid 1?

Thanks

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 14th, 2005 19:00

BMWBOB.

No, you will need two 160GB hard drives to create a RAID1.

Bev..

Message Edited by shesagordie on 06-14-2005 03:26 PM

58 Posts

June 14th, 2005 19:00

I now have two HDD raid 0 and I want to make the PC raid 1 without reformating

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 14th, 2005 20:00

There's no way to do that without a full backup-restore or reinstallation.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 14th, 2005 21:00

BMWBOB.

Starting at page 21 of your owner's manual, RAID procedures are described fully.

Bev.

58 Posts

June 15th, 2005 21:00

If that's the case why couldn't I disable the raid in the BIOS, reformatt the second drive and reenable raid and implement raid 1?

1 Message

I did not buy the RAID option when I bought my XPS Demension. Is it possible to add it now? My current drive is a IDE, can I set up the new RAID drive (assuming I can add it) and using the Windows setup disk migrate the data back to the new RAID 1 setup?
Thanks

1.3K Posts

bobMurrow:

You can purchase another drive that is same make and model of the orginal HD and migrate the orginal drive to RAID 1.    This assumes that the system is still loaded with the orginal drivers, and the BIOS has the default settings.   (RAID Ready)

• Install the New Drive  Connect it to one of the open SATA ports assume you would use 1
  • Verify the drive is reconized hit F2 on start up the bios should show it.
  • After boot up open control panel and double click Intel application Accelerator and choose Raid Migration.
  • Setup RAID 1 by specify (I Assume orginal drive is SATA port 0)  as the source drive to migrate
  • Specify the RAID name
  • Specify the drive to ADD to the array I assume this would be the new drive on SATA port 1
  • Migration take about 1 hour
  • Reboot and your done.

May have missed a point or 2 but this is how I did my XPS gen 2 which is similar to the 8400 on how you set it up.

Message Edited by TomXPS on 06-15-2005 03:38 PM

1.3K Posts

June 15th, 2005 22:00

Well no need to disable the RAID, but as soon as you break the RAID 0 Array you loose all your data.  

The only solution that may work for you is to use something like Ghost and save off a image of yoru system and restore it to a single drive after you break the Array.  

You could save your data, break the array, reload the system.   Beware you need a disketted drive to install the Pre-OS RAID Driver, install all the drivers, and install ll Intel Application Accelerator. 

You break the Array by pressing CTR I shortly after power on the system.    Note the RAID 1 system can be broken with no problem since the two drives are mirrowed.

58 Posts

June 16th, 2005 03:00

That was my only thought, but I was hoping I could purchase an additional drive (3 total) and create a raid 1 on the 3rd drive giving me the best of both worlds. Raid 0 for speed and and raid 1 for backup.

1.3K Posts

June 16th, 2005 17:00

What you might be able to do.... Woud be to buy the third drive and ghost your RAID 0 partitions to it... Once you get done you hopefully could move the new drive to port 0, and boot off it.     

You coud then take your RAID partition assuming you got all the data on the new drive, break it, and create a RAID 1 set.    If you have the room for another drive I think you could setup two RAID 1 arrays.   2 drives on each.

No Events found!