Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 2nd, 2013 12:00

Recover data from Raid 0 drives.

My Dimension 8400 boat-anchored on me.  Extensive trouble-shooting has failed to resurrect it.  The two drives are apparently good (both spin up under power at least). 

I am dumb as a hammer-handle about RAID!  I may be able to borrow a working D8400 for a few days for trouble-shooting.  However it has only a single 80 GB HD. 

Assuming my drives are OK, if I plug them into the working D 8400 alongside the 80 GB drive, will it recognize their configuration and boot up, or do I need to change something in the BIOS for them to be recognized?

Would I be better off removing the 80 GB drive and trying to boot from the two RAID drives? 

Is there any risk of this operation damaging the 8400?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 13:00

There's no risk of damaging the system itself, but recovering data from a corrupt RAID 0 array is very, very difficult.  If you really need the data, contact a data recovery service -- even then, there is no guarantee of recovery.  If they succeed expect quite a large bill for the service - it could well cost a couple of thousand dollars.

RAID 0 is inherently very difficult to recover.

7 Posts

November 11th, 2019 00:00

If you take the time to do some research on the internet about RAID configurations, you will discover that RAID 0 is a disaster waiting to happen. Recovering data from RAID 0 is a very complex task. There are some recovery utilities you can try. Stellar Data Recovery Technician is one of the utility that you can try to recover data from different RAID levels. It provides a simple user interface to recover data with an option of previewing the data that can be restored. Instead of taking a risk of data loss and making an effort of manually restoring the data, you can restore your data by using this tool and check the full recovered data preview for free.

No Events found!