Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2011 07:00

Recovery Drive

My Inspiron Dell 1521 AMD laptop crashed so I reinstalled Microsoft Windows Vista from the DVD that came with the computer.  After reinstallation my computer works fine but my C: drive was renamed recovery and D: drive OS.  My C: drive is now completely full and I cannot free up space.  How do I get my memory back on C:?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 20th, 2011 07:00

Hi Jrusselsmith,

I'm not sure what you mean by "crashed". Are you sure your hard drive is not damaged?

It seems you installed Vista to the wrong partition. You now have no choice but to reinstall. Since you have messed up the recovery partition, you might as well delete it and the OS partition, and just install Vista on a clean drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 5th, 2011 07:00

That's fine. There is really no problem with Vista on the D drive.

Here's a strategy you can try. Vista has a way to resize partitions. That would allow you to shrink C: and expand D:.

February 5th, 2011 07:00

Thank you for responding.  Since my computer seems to be running fine, actually better than it used to, I am just going to ignore the pop-up warning about low disk space.  If I have problems I will take your advice and do a clean install and pay more attention to the instructions.  Thanks again much appreciated.

No Events found!