Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

September 20th, 2004 20:00

Reformat "CP/M, Concurrent DOS, CTOS" hidden partition ?

I have a new Dell Inspiron 700M with a 30 GB hard drive.  It came with a 3-4 GB hidden partition called "CP/M, Concurrent DOS, CTOS", which according to posts on this board is a program-reinstall partition to aid the reinstall of Windows XP.  This is of course is in addition to the "C:" partition (about 34 GB in size because of the hidden partition) containing the main XP install.  According to other posts this hidden partition has been added to some of Dell's line since July, 2004 (?).  What I want to do is upgrade the hard drive to a larger size.  I sent an email to Dell support and they sent an extensive explanation of how to reinstall Windows XP on a new hard drive, but they did not answer my questions about this "CP/M, Concurrent DOS, CTOS" hidden partition.  Does anyone know how to reconstruct it when I upgrade to a larger hard drive?  I was thinking of using Norton Ghost to just copy the "C:" partition as well as this hidden partition to a new hard drive.  Or second, use the supplied CD's and reinstall the whole system on the new hard drive.  But does anyone know if these CD's deal/set up the hidden restore partition? 

2.6K Posts

September 20th, 2004 21:00

The reinstall CD's will not restore the hidden partition.

If you want to keep it (which you dont have to, unless you need a reinstall-in-place ability, you'll have to use ghost or something similar.

4 Posts

September 20th, 2004 23:00

Sorry, need to correct one thing...  the hard drive is 30 GB.  Of this about 3.8 GB is devoted to the hidden partition, leaving about 24 GB for the "C:" drive. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

173 Posts

September 24th, 2004 19:00

That sounds like a large partition, my 5150 only had a 55mb partition
No Events found!