Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S0

November 26th, 2016 00:00

Replace Original HDD with SSD on Inspiron 5759

I have an Inspiron 5759 running Windows 10. The original HDD has 2 partitions--the C:\ and the hidden partition which has the recovery partition. I have backed up all of my data so I want to start off with a clean image and re-install all of my personal software.

Are there any basic instructions on how to clone this HDD--I want both partitions cloned so that if I ever want to refresh the install on the SSD, I won't need to jump through hoops again?

My first thought was Norton Ghost, but that has been discontinued and the old version does not work on Win 10.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2016 04:00

Cloning won't give you a clean image - it will mirror the existing configuration exactly.  If that's what you want to do, you'll need some hardware to allow one of the drives to be connected by USB to allow the cloning software (there are many choices here - Acronis TrueImage, Macrium Reflect, etc.) to work.  Turn OFF secure boot if it's now enabled BEFORE you start.

If you want a clean install, prepare a set of recovery media (see link below) on a 16 G flash drive and use it to reset the system to factory operation.

www.dell.com/.../en

7 Posts

November 27th, 2016 23:00

Hello, if you would like to clone hdd to new sdd, you can try to use some third-party software, here I would like to take aomei backupper for example and you can check the transfer guide. But if you clone hdd to ssd, it's not a fresh install and you can boot from the ssd directly.

1 Message

September 5th, 2018 10:00

I always trust my Kanguru drive duplicator for duping any kind of drive.  I simply plugged in the original 2TB hard drive from the Inspiron, plugged in a 1TB SSD, and performed a resize copy and after a couple of hours it was good to go, just plug in the new drive and it works FAST.  Highly recommend Kanguru drive duping machines.

No Events found!