Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2011 19:00

Replaced 4700 hard drive

Replaced 4700 hard drive.....powered up......dell cd will not booting.....blank screen...????

6.4K Posts

August 12th, 2011 22:00

The Dimension 4700 uses an IDE controller for its optical drives.  Only the drive located at the master position of the ribbon cable is normally bootable.  If your disk doesn't boot on one drive, try the other.  If still no joy, start the computer and press F2 during the self test to get to system setup.  Turn IDE Drive 0 off and again try each of the two drives.  By turning Drive 0 off you will get the computer to attempt a boot from the slave drive, Drive 1.

If none of this has helped you may have a problem with one of the optical drives.  Go back to system setup, turn Drive 0 back on and turn Drive 1 off.  Physically disconnect the slave  drive by removing the middle connector of the ribbon from the drive.  Try booting from the drive you have left on the end of the ribbon (the master).  If that drive still refuses to work, move the connector to the second drive and try that one.  At some point during this process you should get the disk to boot unless you have a faulty optical drive.

4 Posts

August 13th, 2011 05:00

I don't even get a self test ....No F2 ...Nothing comes up on the screen....I have one dvd drive...I can load disk but nothing

Mybe I changed something in setup before I changed the hard drive that caused this.  Nothing comes up on the screen

when I power up.

6.4K Posts

August 13th, 2011 14:00

So I assume that what you meant by loading the disk is that you pop out the tray and insert the disk, and the computer itself is inoperative.  Have you checked the diagnostic lights on the back of the machine, or do you get any beeps?  See this:  Dimension 4700 Advanced Troubleshooting.

4 Posts

August 14th, 2011 06:00

I never knew about the lights....One of the mem cards had poped up when i installed a new card....THANKS THANKS THANKS

Now that windows is working on booting I get...........DRIVE1 NOT FOUND....SERIAL  ATA  SATA2

DRIVE 3 NOT FOUND............PARALLEL  PARTA 1....PRI  IDE  SLAVE

F1 TO CONTINE............F2  FOR SETUP........WHEN I PICK F1 WINDOWS STARTS OK.

Is this a format issue with the new hard drive. Do I have to start over and reformat the hard?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

August 14th, 2011 08:00

You don't need to reformat. Just go to the bios--F2 Setup--and turn off sata drive 3 since it has no disk connected and save it and exit Setup. It should reboot into windows.

6.4K Posts

August 14th, 2011 10:00

In addition to following Mary's advice you should replace the CMOS back-up cell on the motherboard.  The problems you are having are common to computers in which the voltage of the back-up cell has fallen to a low value.

Your computer is telling you that it can't find drives on your second SATA port and your second IDE port.  If you turn those ports off the computer will stop telling you that they are missing and stop waiting for you to press a key.  If you turn the ports off but have a low battery, however, the settings will not stay saved after you shut the computer off.

4 Posts

Thanks ...........I turned the drives on and off till I found the one to boot from and the ones to turn off....I just have to update..update..and more updates..........WinXP-Pro

Thanks Everyone!!!............Ken

6.4K Posts

We're very happy we could help.  Best of luck to you.

No Events found!