Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

May 1st, 2011 09:00

Replacing HDD

I have an Inspiron 1750 with a 500GB HDD.  It has begun locking up recently - random/intermittent occurences, re-boot, and all is well until the next time.  It has happened about 4 times in the last six months.

I would like to replace the drive.  It has the hidden restore partition intact.  Can I transfer  that partition to a new hard drive?  If so, how?  I don't have a Dell Data Safe backup on my menu.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 1st, 2011 09:00

You'd need to clone the existing drive to a new one - using ImageX (free) or another utility.  To do this you'll need an external drive case or an external drive so that you can connect both the original and replacement drives at the same time.

Before you do, run a full diagnostic on the drive (F12 at powerup). The symptoms you're describing can have many possible causes - ranging from malware, to a corrupted Windows install - to overheating.

3 Posts

May 1st, 2011 10:00

I have the external case and drive.  I just wasn't sure if cloning would copy the hidden Dell partition.

Thanks for the quick response!

Bob

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 1st, 2011 12:00

It depends on what you use to do the cloning.

3 Posts

May 1st, 2011 20:00

My Dell came with Windows 7 64-bit.  Does ImageX support it?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2011 05:00

Yes, it does.  However, ImageX isn't exactly the easiest cloning utility to use.

No Events found!