Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

December 15th, 2009 22:00

SAMSUNG 256 gb SSD Firmware Update for Windows 7 TRIM?

Does anyone have an idea how to get the updated Firmware for the Samsung 256gb SSD?  My current firmware is VMB19D1Q - which does not support TRIM.  I have reached out to Samsung who sends me back to Dell and Dell seems not to know when Samsung is releasing the firmware.  I have a copy of an email where a Samsung person says the firmware for this drive has been released to Dell.  Any assistance - please ?  When paying this much money for these drives - I did not expect them to have flaws before I purcahsed.

65 Posts

January 15th, 2010 15:00

I also got  old version VBM15D1Q  SSD with Dell XPS 1645,.

when there are 15% space left,  the CrystalMark Seq write drop to 20MB/s from 160MB/s, very slower even than slowest 4200rpm Hard Drive.

It's 5-10 times expensive than general same capacity HDD, it really not worth the money if Dell can't solve this issue. 

I also tried every mean to updates the FW, but not success.

I jsut hope Dell can solve our problem by post new FW that can used by old  VBM15D1Q .  

5 Posts

January 15th, 2010 16:00

Also without success here trying to update my Dell 256GB SSD with VBM15D1Q firmware using any of the available flash utlities -- ocz, corsair, lenovo, mushkin.de, and now samsung.  Dell customer support has been beyond worthless. 

Samsung finally came through and released the utility for OEM drives, Dell needs to get their act together and offer a flasher for all the drives they sold as parts or as an "upgrade" on custom laptops. 

Until they do, or until we give up and ditch the Dell SSD for a new Micron or Intel, you can get some performance back on a sluggish drive by keeping at least 20-25% of the available capacity unused, consolidating free space with PerfectDisk 10, then using AS-Cleaner w/FF option.  Pretty sad that all of this needs to be performed on a regular basis and manually to partially do what the TRIM-enabled firmware we should have already does.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 16th, 2010 05:00

I'm also having problem with this update on my Dell SSD 256GB drive ((Dell Part Number)DP/N:0F342T ) with the difference that I've got Firmware version VBM94D1Q.

Is there anyone that succeded ANY update with this drive?

Best Regards BB.

58 Posts

January 17th, 2010 20:00

Wanted to throw my hat in the ring, purchased my 1645 in mid-december, WITH windows 7 for a premium price.  Why don't I have access to the firmware that will allow my SSD to benefit from Windows 7 TRIM?!?!?  Well Dell?  Bad enough we have to contend with the Throttling.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2010 20:00

someone in NBR mentioned they had Dell replace his SSD drive and the new one supported TRIM.

So an exchange may get you one, but it's probably hit and miss as far as that goes.

As far as using the non dell firmware updated, i would be concerned that doing so may void your warranty

58 Posts

January 18th, 2010 22:00

Some of you may have also found the following thread on the Alienware forums

It's definitely for the bravehearts, since it's not an approved DELL approach. Am toying with the idea of giving it a go though - coz I'm a little crazy like that.

On p13 of the thread you'll see Quadzilla reports success against upgrading from VMB19D1Q using the approach from the first post - that's the same firmware version I have.

You'll also see on p8 there's a link to a Samsung supplied OEM installer, which seems to actually be a similar approach. Using an official Samsung download seems a preferable route - except that all the references in the Samsung docs talk about it in terms of upgrading from VBM18.

I'll report back if I get brave enough!

58 Posts

January 19th, 2010 04:00

Totally agree - there has to be an answer technically, even if it involves some not very easy steps and has risk of data loss which DELL could caveat.

Whether DELL will actually go down that road only time will tell, I have a sinking feeling they won't though.

In terms of drive recognition, it does seem that some drives/firmware combinations fare better than others when an attempt is made to upgrade - if you read through the Alienware thread (apologies if you did already), there seem to be some quite strict hardware requirements for the machine that the drive can be mounted in for the upgrade utility to recognise the drive and work. From memory, I think it mentioned needing an Intel chipset with SATA II support. I think there was just one laptop that mentioned that had been successfully used to mount the driver and do an upgrade - a Latitude D620.

Locally here I have an oldish Shuttle that may suit - and - ahem - I also have a D620 in the office but it's not mine, it's my girlfriends work machine. Not sure I'll get away with taking it apart to mount my SSD for update purposes however much I tell her it won't damage it. Maybe I'll risk it when she's out one evening :emotion-14:

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 19th, 2010 04:00

The problem is that while the hardware piece of drive is EXACT same as every other (Samsung P22-J, Corsair P256, Dell F342T, etc etc [YES THEY ARE IDENTICAL inside - THE SAME]) the OS/microcode or whatever driver is running differs them. I realy don't know by what - mayby just the reseller microcode as I suppose.

Why? When I tried to apply TRIM patch from other brands it's either not recognizing the drive or say that my microcode differs from the ones that this patch is meant to and instantly abort update...
Different apps act different on the same mashine. Is it a excuse for DELL - NO! SAY ON YOUR RESPONSIBILITY, NO WARRANTY, WILL PERMAMENTLY ERASE DATA, CAN CAUSE HARM TO YOUR HARDWARE OR YOU ;), NOT OFFICIALY SUPPORTED but GIVE THE PATCH OUT.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE(d?) Dell.

I've spent over 70+ bucks to have a DELL SSD (not other brand) piece in my system. Why? I thought it's reliable, stable AND HAS SUPPORT!!!
What turns out is that I didn;t only overpaid, I throwed my cash foolishly. NO TRIM in my recently purchased drive with VBM94D1Q firmware. NO support to do reflash (even with other dranded software - others with other firmware succeed). THERE HAS TO BE A WAY for a person like me/us. THERE HAS TO BE ANSWERS!!!

Straight form Dell.

5 Posts

January 19th, 2010 09:00

I've tried all the various flashers with my Dell 256gb drive (VBM15D1Q) from Mushkin, Lenovo Samsung, Corsair, OCZ all to no avail, both on my SXPS16 laptop and several desktop PCs including one at the office that does have a functioning IDE compatibility mode.

Thought I'd post my experiences with each them since I have found three different flash utilities in the wild, each of which behaves differently.  To my knowledge no one has been able to update a Dell drive with the VBM15D1Q firmware.

1) Lenovo utility (fw2.exe) will see the drive on my SXPS16 laptop in AHCI mode but will cannot update firmware, even after modding the fw.pro config file; must be checking for a specific firmware version or OEM microcode that is not there

2) Mushkin utility (maindiag.exe) will see drive on a generic desktop PC in IDE but gives an error after failing to write the firmware. Clear NAND option does work, however.

3) Samsung, Corsair, OCZ utilities (DSRD1_0.exe) never find the drive; must be checking for a specific firmware version or OEM microcode that is not there

Guess at this point only options are to sell the drive or keep waiting for Dell.... someone's post on NBR indicated Dell was 'working on it' but I wouldn't hold my breath. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 19th, 2010 17:00

The case is that the drive WAS/IS recognized in all of my gear.

Not only old workstation thinkcentre a51/s50, ibm laptops x61, t60, t61, dell hardware but even in my homecenter...

All of those computers SEE the drive, TRY to reflash and FAIL with a message: "Mainfirmware OEM Version is different , Please Check Your Code Version".
No harm to the drive happened or whatsoever. I took pictures for those faint hearted... quality is poor but Youll see what You shoud.

Attempt made with MAINDIAG.exe and all sort of versions of MF.bin and IF.bin

In all cases (on all PC/LAPTOP/HCenterPC) the initialize firmware passes like here:

The problem occures while trying to upload main firmware:

When AHCI in BIOS is set ON the drive itself is recognized but after an attempt on main firmware "generic ATA error" is outputed - no changes to the drive have been made:

Other flashers like the samsung generic one called DOSRD1_0.exe are even faster than a toilet flush. But they do nothing. The drive is recognized and ... wrong firmware for the drive message is stated with an quick exit produced

I'm realy considering buying a corsair or ocz drive in a short while to replace eight F342T...

58 Posts

January 19th, 2010 22:00

Thanks guys for the feedback on experiences with the utility and hardware combinations you've tried - it'll help all of us gain a better understanding of what may or may not work.

If/when I get brave enough I'll post my findings too.

58 Posts

January 19th, 2010 22:00

Observant followers of this thread will notice my "ponderings" email has gone ... apparently I violated the TOS for postings and the moderators have taken it down. I'll let you draw your own conclusions on that.

They have asked me to edit it to comply with the TOS and repost - but I think everyone will have got a copy by email anyhow - and it was just my random ponderings, so I think I'll pass on the that one. Suffice to say - unless something official arrives soon to fix this mess and help us all ou, I think it's fair to say at least one or more of the conclusions I drew may have been too close.

Wonder how long before this post also gets removed .. :emotion-6:

14 Posts

January 20th, 2010 02:00

Dell doesn't even bother to answer my support mails...

Glad to know that there are working people at DELL, disappointed to know their job is to hide the truth instead of solving the issues and giving some piece of information about it...

I think I'll try to use my warranty and exchange the SSD, but I fear it won't have TRIM enable either...

58 Posts

January 20th, 2010 03:00

I also had a nightmare with my old I9300 - in the end I could only fix it with a 3rd party patch that allowed me to use the standard nVidia drivers, which unlike the DEL ones didn't cause BSODs.

But I digress.

To be completely open - I may have included a mild expletive in my original post, which could explain the TOS breach. BUT - the fact it was read and removed proved someone from DELL is reading these, and taking the time to delete them. Shame they aren't taking a little more time to sort the actual underlying issue out, or at least respond with some +ve feedback that it is being sorted out.

It seems that other manufacturers (Lenovo and others) have release updates, so it can't be impossible for DELL to do so. Even if it does involve technical complexity, at least it gives us a solution of some kind.

Not doing so is a kick in the teeth for people who have paid premium prices for top end components - an approach hardly likely to endear us to buying top end kit in the future from this supplier. As I said on the now censored post - I'm really hoping DELL step up and fix this, so I can chalk it down to slow support rather than no support.

14 Posts

January 20th, 2010 03:00

They don't seem to have any centralized knowledge base at DELL.
Each customer problem is new to them and they don't know anything about it...

Samsung released the firmware that's a fact. (I read they send it to DELL in early December)
DELL has nothing to say and apparently doesn't care at all...

No Events found!