Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2006 22:00

SATA 300 drive performs exactly the same as SATA 150?

I recently purchased a SATA 300 WD drive from Dell as an addition to my SATA 150 drive that is already in my system, and after running HD Tach, the test results show both drives running at the exact same performance level, and not at the SATA 300 level either. What's the deal? Did I get scammed by believing the SATA 300 will be faster? I used a 300mb data transfer compatible (supposedly) cable and all that I bought from satacables.com. Any ideas? The burst rate for both drives is 196mbps.

Message Edited by JDookie on 02-13-2006 06:54 PM

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 14th, 2006 10:00

Since the bottleneck is the rate at which data spins off the platters, and since a SATA300 and a SATA150 drive are mechanically identical, so too will the performance be.

SATA300 is just another performance solution in search of a problem that does not exist.

601 Posts

February 14th, 2006 13:00

SATA2 vs SATA:

They are believed to be slightly quicker, I say "believed" because up to now they seem to be like gold dust. As to if you can or cannot "see" the difference is harder to say. Overall you would "see" the difference with a stop watch, i.e. seek times and the fact that they will tend to have a larger cached buffer,maxtor for example at 16MB, as opposed to the 8MB. Seek times will be generally faster usually -8 or -9 ms. There will be a general speed increase but it will mainly be an "overall" one. Those who will "see" the benefits more than others will be: video editors, some gamers and cad users, simply because the information is more speedily available.

However, in reality as the actual hard disk is the same . SATA / IDE / SATA2 are the interface technology names. The interface only handles the data from the disc to the motherboard. The slowest thing is the HDD its a mechanical thing the best go at maybe 70mbyte/sec ie 560mbits/sec all well within ATA100 ( 100mbytes/sec) let alone ata133 or SATA150 . Its a bit like having a huge water tank feeding a long thin pipe to your tap you get a trickle ( like Big disk/big cache on USB1) and the mains feed on a 22mm pipe keeps up easily. The other extreme is having a pipe 20foot in diameter to an equally big tap when the tank empties in milliseconds and you have to wait for the tank to fill from the mains via a 22mm pipe ( SATAxx) . In both cases the water main feeds at the same basic rate no matter what

Message Edited by audiopho on 02-14-2006 09:04 AM

March 7th, 2006 18:00

@JDookie wrote:
I recently purchased a SATA 300 WD drive from Dell as an addition to my SATA 150 drive that is already in my system, and after running HD Tach, the test results show both drives running at the exact same performance level, and not at the SATA 300 level either. What's the deal? Did I get scammed by believing the SATA 300 will be faster? I used a 300mb data transfer compatible (supposedly) cable and all that I bought from satacables.com. Any ideas? The burst rate for both drives is 196mbps.

Message Edited by JDookie on 02-13-2006 06:54 PM

Check out http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/sata/st3160812as.html
for info on setting autonegotiation speed faster. Also, there's lots of
useful info & links under Wikipedia w/SATA entry.
No Events found!