Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

October 26th, 2011 10:00

SD reader stopped working in 19-1 media card reader

The SD reader in the 19-1 has stopped working. All the drives show in windows , but nothing happens in the SD reader. I only have some CF cards to test the others, and they work fine.

I have the current Firmware and drivers, latest Bios etc. I have removed it and Re Seated the cable.

I still have time on an extended warranty on my system, but really dont want to spend time on the phone going through all the same things again.

I know these things cant cost much, so any suggestions on a replacement for it, assuming theres nothing else to try.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 26th, 2011 11:00

Hi Camdids,

I would try testing your media card reader using the Dell diagnostics. That takes the operating system out of the equation. You'll obviously need one or more media cards to check the various slots.

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

October 26th, 2011 12:00

I ran Diagnostics first and nothing showed up. I did just try a couple of different cards and noticed the light flicker  whhile inserting a card. After jiggling it a bit,not too roughly I managed to get the light to stay on and it read the car. I'm guessing its a contact issue. Not sure if anything I can do to fix it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 26th, 2011 12:00

Is it just one slot? I know I only ever use my SD slot. Maybe the best long term solution is to replace it.

By the way, I got a chuckle out of seeing you've given your old 4100 away. I couldn't find any takers, so mine ended up in the recycle bin after seven years of reliable service.

1 Rookie

• 

95 Posts

October 27th, 2011 09:00

It is just the SD Slot . Problem is it has the BlueTooth connection on it. Couldnt find any replacements with this.

I actually gave it to a local Charity shop, but really it went to a guy who worked there. I was using it as a Server to run a few older First Person Shooter games. He was looking to set one up, so He took it.

It really did get a good life. Not like the 8400.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 27th, 2011 17:00

Call Dell spare parts. They can sell you a direct replacement.

Our second Dell was a Dim 4550. It's in the basement but I still use it for video capture and editing work.

No Events found!